Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!
i recently completed replacing the drive chain in my 81 1100, and i stupidly bought gaskets from saber cycle. my first mistake. my second mistake took place when after i thought i had tightened the cylinder heads properly, put everything back together, and tried to put antifreeze into coolant system prior to starting bike. it may be the cheap as hell gaskets, it may have been my ?improper? torque job, which i did to ft/lb spec and "in a diagonal fashion" per CLYMER's but nevertheless had oil leaking from one head and coolant from the other. so maybe both things; this WAS my first total engine re-assembly. so now that the rant is over, i have to take it all apart and clean the crankcase halves of coolant, does anybody have a diagram or info pertaining to the proper and correct method of 'diagonally' torquing the cylinder heads?
{i gotta say this has been quite a fun and frustrating rebuild, i'm glad for the experience} :claps:
thanks for the info and thanks for your time.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,629 Posts
When it comes to gaskets on the Goldwing, OEM all the way.

No one else makes a good one, and Saber's gasket are notorious for leaking.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
...it may have been my ?improper? torque job, which i did to ft/lb spec and "in a diagonal fashion" per CLYMER's but nevertheless had oil leaking from one head and coolant from the other...
That should have worked for you. As it didn't, there are a few possible reasons. Improperly cleaned head and block surfaces is the most common cause of head gasket leaks. Bad gaskets is also a (rare) possibility, or you could have damaged the gaskets when fitting. Torque wrench calibration off is another (although probably slim) possibility.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A thought just occurred. Can I get away with flushing the engine compartment somehow to cleanse it of possible antifreeze? Instead of complete disassembly? Is it done?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Any head gasket that is inferior enough to allow oil and coolant leaks during the initial fill would be one for the record books. As wingnut said the heads or cylinder tops need to be completely free of debris. My head was milled before reassembly so it was clean and I did the tops of the cylinders with a palm sander with 1500 and 2000 grit emorycloth. The gaskets were from some aftermarket maker in Japan and have worked perfectly.

The heads on these bikes are prone to warping. If you don't want a repeat take the heads off and get them tested and milled if necessary. Get the tops of the cylinders to shine like mirrors with no blemishes. Make sure the o-ring is on the orifice and its installed in the correct direction. Your Clymers manual sounds like it didn't give bad info.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is totally possible. Free of debris in my beginners mind and polished to a mirror with an Emory cloth are very far apart. It's likely the cause. However- the final drive gear cover leaked oil from its gasket as well during the time I primed the engine for use with oil. Don't see how that's anything but cheap gaskets

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Here is the head bolt tightening sequence from the Honda service manual.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Could the gaskets have been damaged in transit? How well were they packed? New gaskets leaking seems unlikely unless they were damaged in transit or fitting. Of course we have to factor in them being Saber supplied, which makes them of doubtful reliability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a babillion bellboy, now I can torque with confidence next time! The gaskets were stuffed in a cardboard box they didn't quite fit in... Some thinner gaskets had bend rips but the head gaskets seemed okay... Drained the oil today from the crank case. Didn't see any big contamination of coolant mixed in but I know some got in through the oil returns in the cylinder heads. What should I use to try and flush out any residue? Cheap clean engine oil?

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I wouldnt worry about a little antifreeze getting into the crankcase. It will boil off when the engine gets up to running temperature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh thank the spaghetti god. I am so freakin wound up about this shiz, a whole year of searching buying and turning wrenches I know you would be too. Thanks maple bro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.