Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all. hope everyone is enjoying a great warm riding season. it's time for a new back tire and decided to go darkside. I have a 81 gl1100i what size c/t should i use and what brand you recommend. thanks for the help with my questions before on other occasions, yall have been a great help and i hope to be help when learn more with my experience.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

alot of people have look but have not heard of one bein found i think one of are members that has passed tried to find one (Bagmaster)

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

They are out there if you want to change the rear wheel, but none that I can find that will fit the stock wheel. Even with a wheel change, it looks like it will be a TIGHT fit.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Just bought a new rear tire for my 1981 GL1100I. Here is what I found.

The 1981 Gold Wings had a shaft final drive system and five manual gears. The front tire was 110/90 by 19 size and the rear tire was 0.8 inches wider at 130/90 by 17 size.

Read more: 1981 Honda Gold Wing Specs | eHow.com [url]http://www.ehow.com/list_7644522_1981-honda-gold-wing-specs.html#ixzz25RPXkb8s[/url]

And here is where I got it. I got the Shinko cause I was strapped. But its a real good tire. Have no complaints at all!

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/tire_list.asp?SelectTireType=STREET+PRODUCTS&SelectRimSize=STREET+PRODUCTS-17&SelWidth=STREET+PRODUCTS-17-130&SelAspect=STREET+PRODUCTS-17-130-90

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

1800 has a number of options, the 1500 has a couple, the 1200 has had a couple of folks try a C/T on it with poor results, namely because the rim is too narrow and not a true 15" but about 15.2".

The 1100 rim is even more difficult to find a suitable match for.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

unionjk wrote:
1800 has a number of options, the 1500 has a couple, the 1200 has had a couple of folks try a C/T on it with poor results, namely because the rim is too narrow and not a true 15" but about 15.2".

The 1100 rim is even more difficult to find a suitable match for.

Actually all the 15" MC rimsare 15.08" +/- .015. It's the car tire thats not a true 15". It's spec's are 14.968" +/- .015". These spec's arefrom the Tire and Rim Association 2012 yearbook. They set the standards to which all rims and tires are to be designed andmanufactured to in the U.S.A. and those spec'scarry over to most of the world. The Europeans do have their own agency but they normally default to the TRA.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

dude. If you mean "car tire" don`t do it. use the bridgestone spitfire 11f dual compound tire and I believe you will be happy with the handling and great mileage.by mileage I mean these tires last a long time. samk.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
There isn't a car tire made that will fit an 1100. I spent three solid years looking for one.
I searched it out too as many others have too. To do it will take a wider space at the driveshaft. So unless you want to modify the swingarm, forget about it!

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
imported post

Sorry, not going to happen. I guess you will have to get one to fit a 1500 or 1800 and then you will have a reason to upgrade. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

thanks alot for the info. The GOLDWING owners are some of the nicest people. I guess its to a mc tire then. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE RESPONSES AND THE EXPERTIZE

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Redrum64 wrote:
This site is full of errors .... take it with an entire bag of salt.

1. The top speed of the Standard was 199 mph .....

2. The 1981 Gold Wings had a fuel tank that held 5.02 gallons

3. ...better shielding on instruments to reduce reflections on the windshield compared to the 1980 models.

4. The front brake used dual discs that were 232 mm in diameter with two-piston calipers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.