Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been off line for a while working for Uncle Sam, now we are done.

I have an 83 Aspencade, 45K+, purchased at sea level, now living at 2500 feet. PO had carbs rebuilt at ~43K, bike had been sitting a LONG time.

Start is difficult but it does start.

Cold engine: rotate the throttle full open/closed, about the 4th/5th attempt the engine will idle, warm up and run. Choke does not appear to help. colder weather = more attempts but it does start eventually. Bike runs fine after it warms up 3-4 minutes.

Hot engine: open the throttle 10-15% to start.

Good gas mileage and performance.

Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
drain some oil add 4 oz of sea foam to your oil run it for 50 miles easy then change THE OIL, CHECK COMPRESSION.. reset valves?, Look at spark..fat white???, if you haven't changed your timing belts do it..not related but should be done if it hasn't been, run some sea foam through the carbs..

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
IIRC you can 'adjust' the choke cable if the choke is not completely closed when the cable is pulled.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I was gone the bike was ridden. The problem has occurred since moving to altitude of 2500 feet. Didn't think a small altitude change would bother it, but I now have the start problem.

How do I tell if the choke is not closed all the way??

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
Pull the choke knob all the way till it stops; at the same time look at the choke lever on the carbs -- right side of the carbs, at the rear carb. It should move to it's stop when the choke knob is pulled all the way out. Use your finger to try to move the choke lever (on the carb) UP. If it moves some more then the choke cable is out of adjustment.

Loosen the cable stay screw to adjust the cable. Push the choke knob all the way in ---then slightly move the cable at the stay, tighten the stay screw. Recheck the choke lever free play.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
you need to look at the choke shaft that runs between the carbs as well.. I have seen the rear choke shafts stick open and then the front choke butterfly stays open as well

when moving the choke mechanism (above the fuel pump) you should be able to see the split shafts turning simultaneously. they may be sticking due to fuel evaporation clogging up the shaft. It is possible that a heat gun can help (gently warming up the carb) or reach in with needle nose pliers and gently rotate the shaft at the center

there are a few dozen reasons why bikes are hard to start... choke gone bad is usually a good one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.