Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stator on my '82 GL1100 is shot and I am going to put in a new one. But should I also replace the R/R as an extra precaution?

I definately do not want to go through another stator replacement any time soon.

Thanks

Brian

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

Rectifier / regulator...not regulator / rectifier. Or is it relaxation / recuperation? :)

Edit: Second thought it could be remove / repair. I hate accronyms. Someday the world will blow up because of them. :) FWIW.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

canuckxxx wrote:
The stator on my '82 GL1100 is shot and I am going to put in a new one. But should I also replace the R/R as an extra precaution?
I wouldn't unless it was bad. Regulator / rectifier will not hurt the stator in any case. Easy to replace if the need ever arrises.

:action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Me neither, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Since it's easy to get at there's no advantage changing it without and indication that there's a problem with it. I would check the connectors around it. They can become heated from corrosion and melt the plastic or blue the connector pins which can cause trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Me neither, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
+1. Actually, I guess it's +2. Except in my case, it's "If it ain't broke, don't broke it".

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,528 Posts
If I was changing the stator, I'd change the regulator also. It's not that much more work and you've got new components with a back-up regulator...

But that's just me.....:D

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
1100 charging systems are pretty reliable except for the stator connector, I wouldn't worry about the R/R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.