Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My '82 GL1100 is not charging the battery. With the engine running I measure about 11.5V acrosss battery terminals no matter what RPM. I get 11.5V, 10V, 7V AC between yellow leads from alternator. That is with the alternator leads disconnected from anything else. Should read the same between all right?

I get .6 ohm between all yellow leads and no continuity to ground with any yellow lead.

Does this mean the dreaded stator replacement?

Your comments will be greatlyappreciated.

Brian

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Should have more than 50 VAC between any two of the stator yellow leads.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If those voltages were measured with the engine running around 2500 rpm or higher the stator does look like it isn't operating correctly.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

You should get a minimum of 50V AC from any two yellow wires. Also the voltage should not vary by a huge amount with any given pair.

I put an aftermarket stator in my wing that at idle is putting out 70-75 V AC on any pair. At 2500 rpm and above it puts out 90-95 V AC on any given pair. It's been in there for three years now, and I kept a real close eye on the regulator for the first year and a half and so far it has not over heated or failed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 1100s have a better stator setup than the 1200s which are notorious for stator failures. On an 1100 it's well worth just replacing it, on a 1200 it's often better to modify it with the external alternator.

GL1100 stator

'Nother one

This Forums GL1200 Stator Output Check Youtube Video

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.