Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my bike seems stuborn on start up. After about 30 seconds youcan hear the other cylinders start to fire intermitant then seem to fire correctly after about a minute or so. Wondering if this sounds as if the coils are going bad or maybe the plug wires. Any suggestions ( I've tried the spark plugs twice now). Thanks.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

When the engine is ticking over on startup, did you pull off the other plug caps to check for sparks (you should hear the sparking as you pull the caps)? If they are sparking then you have to look elsewhere.
If no spark then do the cheap things first like fitting new HT leads. You should try switching the coils around and if then the other 2 cylinders are affected then you know the coil and/or it's leads are the cause. If the same cylinders are affected though after switching coils then it's likely that pulsar coils or the ignition box are the cause.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No, I have not tried that. I will try doing that tommorrow after work. It makes sence to me. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Pull of them coils, assuming they are original coils I suggest changing the HT leads, I also assume coils are coils and would suggest using a dremmil tool and cutting into coil to reveal the brass pin, attach new HT leads and fill with silicone...

Ive done this myself on a Yamaha XJ750 with great results

I also had similar firing problems as you described but the new HT's cured it

Steven.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I finally had the time to try some things on the bike. The first thing I did was to change the resistors and the plug wires at the suggestion of the local dealer. No..., the problem is still there but not as bad. (probably my imagination). Ihave not tried to switch the high tension leads yet. I do know it is the back cylinders on each side. They both are off the same coil. It sounds good what you suggested about the coils being old and maybe the high tension lead aregetting old and not working correctly. I am dealing with a bit of two problems at the same moment,as I switched out the original carburetors for a new single holley carburetor. While I was dealing with the rich fuel, I discovered the fireing problem. I only wish I had more time to work on the bike. I will not get to it now for another week. Thank you though as I will do some more investigating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.