Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read all the time about the dog bone fuse giving people trouble so I wanted to check it and replace with an inline fuse. I think the previous owner removed it.
My question should the dog bone be where the white wire is?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Yes. The white wire has replaced the dogbone fuse.

The PO must have liked living dangerously

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the quick reply I couldn't find a picture of one but I was pretty sure that's where it should be. You just have to love those previous owners :X :headbanger: I thought I already found all his past fixes.
So I'm off to Radio Shack.:walker::walker:

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I guess it could be a fusible link, looks like standard wire with crimp on ends. I'm not going to take the chance and I would like standard fuses easier to find and replace if I get stuck. :)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

From the picture I would say that you do not have a main fuse,it has been jumped with a piece of wire ,akin to putting a penny in the fuse box in your house......... Dangerous.....You should eliminate it asap. Do a search of "dog bone fuses" and you will see exactly how to make the repair utilizinga modern push in plastic 30 amp fuse....It is an easy fix.....GM

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I have a similar set up on my GL1100 that I want to replace.

I have seen in some of the threads that there is an adapter that replaces the dog bone with a blade fuse socket. I haven't seen one yet nor do I know exactly where they carry them but I am thinking probably an auto parts store. If anyone knows, please let both of us know.

:?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Put in what klwatts says and do it quick.

You can burn out your wiring harness and cause a fire if you do not have it FUSED.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well I did replace it and all is right with the world again.:action: I picked the fuse holder up at Radio Shack 30 amp waterproof 10gauge wire for automotive use and some 30 amp fuses all for around $5.00.
They do have a good assortment of switches, connectors, and fuses it might be worth a look when you need one.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.