Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well just picked up an 82 interstate today. It doesnt roll very well in neutral. I put it up on the center stand and the rear brake seems to be catching, really bad in one spot. The disc does feel scored in spots. One wierd thing, If I turn the front wheel I cant move the bike at all. What gives!

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

Most likely need to rebuild the calipers. The pistons are not moving freely. It probably sat for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

pm me your email address and i'll forward a service manual that should help you

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I think tmdriver sent me that already. Thanks though. Found the how to articles thread tonight. I have a lot to read.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Could a bad rear caliper cause the rear brake lever to stay down and not spring back up or is that a different problem?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

What is a good place to get new rotors? Do people change out the brake lines to stainless on these things? Figure if I get into the brakes, the whole thing is ganna need redone, calipers, lines, master cylinders.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Well Merry Christmas to yourself, for scoring a great old bike.
Often you can simply clean up the brake calipers, put in new fluid and ride... Worth a try for free.
Also, that sticking rear brake pedal will need some attention. You may just be able to spray some pb blaster on the spring/swivel area then pump a bunch to loosen up. If it does not un-stick, then it must be removed, cleaned up, greased and put back. Mostly just enjoy the ride, oh, and Welcome to the best place in the world for Goldwing help!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yes braided lines are great especially on the front., You maybe be able to pull the calipers clean then up and reinstall..rebuild kits if needed are on eBay or at most Honda dealers.

If you need new pistons..a guy in Holland makes them..I have his email if needed. Also resourced through a guy in Seattle, same part.

Braided lines here at reasonable price, no connection just heard good things about their products and price. http://tinyurl.com/6vm8pkx

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

another place for lines , drop lopeha a pm . he has a good price for the brake line sets for the forum members. GOOD stuf too.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

lopeha has an add for S/S lines at the top of the f/s wanted section.

Brakes sticking can be the little return hole(2nd hole-clean with 1 wire from wire brush) in the master cylinders, the slider pins rusted(sand clean, if nut not pitted bad, grease them properly), or pistons sticking.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

When I picked up my '82 the brakes were kinda draggy. I removed the rear calliper and pushed the pistons out just enough to clean them good with spray brake cleaner. Used and old pad to push them back in several times, while spraying silicon spray on them. I cracked the bleeder and pushed all the old fluid out until the new stuff came out. Dot 3 only. I don't believe in using dot 4 if it calls for 3.Then I sanded the disc down a bit with emery paper.Sprayed then with brake cleaner after then greased the pins with some never sieze. That cured my issue enough that I did the same with the fronts. I found that when a bike sits for a while brake dust turns into a hard type of crud, that has to be cleaned out. I hope this works for you.,

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Try just cleaning them up , it may work . Cheap FIX. I have heard of taking pistons out rubbing with aluminum foil and brake fluid.I cleaned my 78 gl1000 up worked great .

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
imported post

Rebuild the rear Master cylinder. and caliper.. being sure to get the tiny return hole in the master cylinder cleared of any old crud in there.. i used an "E" string from a guitar. to help open this return hole... when it's blocked... fluid cannot return to your brake fluid resevoir... keeping the caliper pressed against the rotor... all this is caused by the bike sitting... and not ridden... And Goldwings dont like sitting around un-ridden for long periods.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Firebrick go to ngw club.com/shoptalk. Look at brakes rebuild k

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Hope I'am not sticking my nose in here, but I use a welding tip clean out brush for cleaning out those little holes. The brush kit has a variety of sizes included.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.