Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my 80 gl 1100 runs great when it is hot & dry outside, and i usually keep it in the shop, but let her stay out overnight and she skips and sputters until the sun shines on her and she runs good again? thought it was moisture in the plugwire but thats not it.:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you checked the drain holes below the spark plugs in the heads?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I think that's a chronic problem for anything that can be classified as 'vintage' - including
me! My lawnmower, chainsaw, weedeater, '75 Pontiac, all suffer from the same bad
habit. Myself, I gave up sleeping outside a number of years ago.

If I leave my '83 Aspy in my unheated garage overnight it starts up immediately - no
choke. But if I leave it outside then it's choke time for the first 5 minutes. Seafoam
helps a bit, as does electronic spray, but in the long run old is old.

One of these winters I'll re-synch the carbs - after my usual dose of products from
Tylenol, Bayer, and Pfizer.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I had that on my 83 also. It was the plug wires, they had green corrosion at the coils connectors. Replaced the wires and plug caps with new bulk wire, 6' and new NGK plug caps. Bought them at the local mom/pop repair shop in Oceanside for $30 total. Started right up after that.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

I second Newday777 answer. Had same problem with my 79 GW and some of my older cars. 99% of the time wires were the problem. And plugs for good measure. Good luck:waving:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I had aCB550 that was like that. cracks in tyhe coils and/or wires are the likely culpret. Try WD 40 on them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.