Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling apart my calipers on my 81 GL1100 that were horribly stuck (and just an overall mess). I decided to go with the dual piston calipers off of an 82. I've seen a few people on the forums in older threads that have done this, are there any challenges I'm going to run into?

This is what I have:

1982 GL1100 dual piston calipers (with rebuild kits)
1982 Galfer Stainless Brake lines and combiner (shortened for handlebars)
1982 NEW EBC Brake pads
1981 NEW EBC Rotors

I also have 1981 Galfer Stainless brake lines with a stock combiner, but I'm not sure they will work on this setup, it was mentioned that the 1982 banjo fittings are slightly bent.

Questions:

- Are the 1981 and 1982 Rotors the same? Please say yes... they were $$$
- Anything else I need to look at?

·
Registered
65 Posts
To see if parts are same go to cmsnl website and look up part numbers. If numbers same parts are same, if just end three numbers vary you have a reasonable chance they are same.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To see if parts are same go to cmsnl website and look up part numbers. If numbers same parts are same, if just end three numbers vary you have a reasonable chance they are same.
Wow I didn't even know that site existed, a wealth of information.

I think if the rotors are too different, they may have the same mounting holes and I may be able to get a 82 Rotor to fit on an 81... IDK. We shall see... fingers crossed. I did a lot of research on the forums and people basically said they just fit right on.

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
The dual piston calipers will work if you also have the caliper brackets. The rotors are all the same except 82-83 aspencade.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dual piston calipers will work if you also have the caliper brackets. The rotors are all the same except 82-83 aspencade.
Thanks Dave! I do have the 82 brackets too. I'm wondering if I need to return the 81 rotors I just bought and get the 82 Aspencade rotors...since the calipers came off an 82 Aspencade, or if it even matters.

OR.... do I just buy non-Aspencade calipers...they are much cheaper. I'm really not all that familiar about the difference in models and the calipers look identical. Are just the rotors different?

Thanks in advance! Learning so much!

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
The aspencade rotors are thicker so the calipers are wider. They will still work though, I did it on 1 I had.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... these came today but 2 are GL1100's and 2 are GL1000A's I cant tell the difference, except the one in the upper right corner has a different looking bracket. The others look identical, I'm trying to get rebuild kits, but they are telling me Honda had at least 5 different piston sizes. I believe both are off of 1982 models- is there a way to tell?

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
A part number on them somewhere? You could match the part #s to the on-line parts fiches....

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
Well... these came today but 2 are GL1100's and 2 are GL1000A's I cant tell the difference, except the one in the upper right corner has a different looking bracket. The others look identical, I'm trying to get rebuild kits, but they are telling me Honda had at least 5 different piston sizes. I believe both are off of 1982 models- is there a way to tell?
If 2 of them are for Aspencades they will be wider inside the caliper for a thicker rotor. The left and right are different size pistons.

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Caliper differance

The ones on top are for 83. 82 had/has dual piston but work same as 80-81. Rotors are same. 83 has eaqualizers. part of front master goes to back and part of back master goes to front.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts