Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning,

I have a dumb question. It's about batteries. I had a starting problem with my 82 Standard over the weekend. I took it all apart and cleaned all the connections except the start switch, and it's much better.

I had the battery tested at 2 different places and it checked good. It has good voltage, at rest and with a load. I popped the caps to check the water level, and found no water to check. It's a Diehard Gold, 18L-BS, and looks no more than 2 yrs old or so. (I just bought this bike). It doesn't say that it's a maintenance free battery, but....

Shouldn't there be water in it? One of the places I had tested it was Sears, and I looked at a new one in the box. It comes with a funnel rig to add the acid. Inside the cells on my battery, I saw what looked like white cloth wrapped around the plates, very clean.

I'm stumped...

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

You could check on the Die Hard site and see if this is a lead acid battery. If this is a lead acid battery, there should certainly be some water in there. You should add some distilled water up to the fill mark. I'm surprised it tested OK without water in it.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Just my 2 cents on the standard wet cell batteries. I don't know what a Diehard Gold is but its sounds like one.

If you add acid when its new then you add water whenever the level drops below the fill lines. There are two on them. The top you never go over and the bottom you never let it get under.

The plates should have a dull metal finish, like the lead that they are. If they look white I don't think that's good. Probably sulfited and most likely ready to die.

Can't wait to hear what others have to say.

LOL

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The 18L-BS is a lead acid battery, it should be full of Acid, or topped up with bottled water (do not use tap water. If it is totally empty, then it was never filled, or it has leaked out.... Have you checked it for cracks? I see your from the north so if not garage kept, it could have froze and cracked the plastic casing, on or off the bike. if it was on the bike, you should see acid staining or etching somewhere.

Don't feel bad however, The 18L was a horrible battery. Mine lasted 8 months.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

I would think that if it has plugs you can remove, that means it's serviceable. But, there is some new battery tech out there which claims to run without acid or gel. Maybe that's what you have. Still, why would there be removable plugs?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

This is what the Diehard site says:

DieHard Gold PowerSport DieHard Gold PowerSport Batteries featuring AGM technology provide maximum power and durability. Their maintenance-free, sealed design eliminates spillage and allows for installation in just about any position, while their special grid configuration withstands severe vibration and ensures maximum conductivity.

Best For
  • Personal watercraft, motorcycle, ATV and snowmobile
Proven Technology:
  • Sealed design eliminates spilling and allows for installation in any position
  • Pre-measured acid with easy pour container eliminates guesswork when filling battery and quickly fills each cell simultaneously
  • Compressed Plate Packs protect against damage due to vibration

This indicates that there should be some liquid in this battery

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I took your suggestion(don't know why I didn't think of that) and it's definitely a lead acid battery, maintenance free. There's no fluid at all in mine, I tipped it carefully to see where the water level was and found none. I eventually tipped it right over, upside down, and nothing came out.....VERY strange.....

I suppose I should look into getting a new Yuasa. Any other recommendations out there?

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Get a Battery Tender and attach the charging plug to the new battery. Plug it in when you get home every time. Keep an eye on the water level.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I would probably put some distilled water in it and use it as long as it lasts.

As for there being no water in it: I have found with both my 1200 and my 1500 that you have to keep an eye on the water levels in the battery. The bikes charging voltage seems to be high enough to slowly boil away the water. I usually fill my 1500 a couple of times each summer.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever answered the question in the 6[sup]th[/sup] post.
It's an AGM battery that doesn't come prefilled. The electrolyte that is put in to activate it is Absorbed by the Glass Mat. As with any AGM battery you never add water Since it load tested fine it's operating as deigned and will probably last you for another 8 to 10 years.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

You nailed it Ken. I'd never heard of AGM battery technology before. You learn something new every day....

I shudder to think what would have happened if I had added water. What a mess...

This is what these excellent forums are all about...

Thanks to all responders...

Bob

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

[/colorHey, Don't feel too dumb, I've been riding mine for 8 months ans I never checked the batt! I thing I better go and have a look!:dumber:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.