Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
83 standard 16,000 miles, PO said it had a spun rod bearing. terrible clanging noise. So I pulled the engine tonight. a round cap like object with a hole in it fell out as I was removing the engine and it hung up on something. I shined a light in there and the alternator bolt was hanging out the hole. so much for the spun rod theory. tossed in a good starter, 180 psi on all 4. no noise. there was an awful noise before on the starter, and pushing the bike in gear. SO ANYWAY. the rear cover is fubar, no threads remain for the inspection cap. why cant I just tighten the bolt and put a rubber plug in there? I do have a good cover, but seems like a lot of work for something I can cure with a hub plug.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
As you already have the engine out, it isn't a lot of work to swap out the rear cover. Better than bodging the bad one and passing a problem over to the next owner, I would think.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
these caps have come up before in conversation with reference to the one that acts as a filler port and level on the rear dif.

I believe the inspection caps are not unique and a visit to the breakers would throw up a similar one.

Better than a rubber cap or plug.

Try a search on this forum area about rear difs and see if the answer you seek is there already.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
PLus 1 for GWNorman. You have the engine out and doing it right will only cost the time to find one and the purchase of a replacement engine cover.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a cover, that's not the problem, its the frequency of bolts busting off in these engines that bothers me with any repair. so many of these have busted bolts its hard to believe. I would rather worry about a plug then the crap shoot that any one of those butter bolts will bust off in the block

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not really I will probably just change the cover. just wondered if anyone else had problems changing them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.