Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1981 GL1100. The engine lags when I apply the throttle. I don't have much mechanical expertise, but I suspect that it's running on 3 cylinders (If I pull the front right plug wire while it's running not much changes).
Has anyone seen this? If yes, what could the likely problem be?

thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

give us some history on the bike and condition of the bike

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

i would check the condition of the plugs also

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The bike has approx 45k on it. I bought it a few months ago. It always had a slight lag when I started out at a stop sign, but its gotten worse. It takes a while to start if it's been sitting more than 2 or 3 days. As far as I know I'm the second or third owner. Not much history except for a minor fuel leak which I fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Its hard to say. Don't remove plug wires while the bike is running without grounding them immediately. The coils ground out through the plug wires and if they can't ground they may BURN OUT.

A lag during acceleration can be a malfunctioning ignition advance. On my 83 there are two. There is a vacuum advance and a centrifical. Check to see if the is a small vacuum hose going from the right rear carb (#3) to the back of the engine. Make sure its intact and connected. Checking the mechanical advance requires removal of a cover on the back of the engine that is very difficult to get to. Investing in a Honda repair manual for the 1100's would probably be necessary. They are about $50.00.

If you feel that the right front (#1) is not firing properly IMHO testing is best done with a timing light or spark detector. You can get either for very little at Harbor Freight or a discount auto part store. Check all and see if the tests vary.

The coils on these guys can give problems. I had a bad one that first caused problems a very high RPMs and eventually progressed to lower ones. The coil tests are

1. Remove the shelter, start the bike and then spray a mist of water on the coil. If it begens to miss badly it is cracked and needs to be replaced.

2. Check the primary and secondary windings for the correct resistance. It either is out replace the coil.

I would recommend one from a bone yard.

Another thing to checl would be the accelerator pump function. I wouldn't be surprised if a carb rebuild helps immensely. If your inclined to do this check Randakk's site for kits and assistance.

What do the plugs look like?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Sorry I havent been on for a while, been traveling. I Pulled the plugs per the last post by fgh. They are black and smell like gasoline (I guess that's considered "fouled"). Does that point to the fuel mixture being too rich?

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate them.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

that actually points to the plugs not fireing, replace the plugs, you didnt tell us how long this machine has sat before you bought it

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Randy. I'll replace them tomorrow. Regarding how long it sat, I think it did sit a while (like a few years). My cousin rehabbed it before he sold it to me. I assumed he changed the plugs but they look pretty old.
I forgot to mention it, but I put something called "seafoam" in the tank last fall. I read that seafoam can cause sediment in the tank to be introduced into the system. If the plugs don't help I'll try to clean the fuel bowls out.
thx again

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

first thing to do is install another "backup" fuel filter inline, then the plugs and try it again, i think you will be ok, the smell of fuel on the plugs mean the gas ins getting in there but not burning

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

I had a plug go out once, couldn't get more than 50 mphout of the bike, hey this might not be your fix but it ought to give you a clue!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I finally took the bike to a mechanic who specializes in old gold wings (Honda dealers don't like to work on old gold wings). The mechanic found that whoever last built the carbs did a really bad job. He rebuilt and synchronized the carbs (something I was not willing to take on). I runs beautifully and gets much better mileage. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

Good to hear she is running well again. To keep it that way never let it sit for long periods of time without puttingsome fuel stabilizer in the tank and then run it for a few minutes to get it in the carbs. Those low speed jets are really easy to get clogged up from the fuel we get these days. Goldwings of any age don't like to sit around unused. They like to be running! :action:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.