Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have overhauled my engine recently and have replaced timing belts, primary chain, rebored and new piston rings, main and big end bearings etc.

I did not replace the cylinder oil seals has these had been done very recently when the heads where overhauled. I filled the ports up with gasoline when heads on the bench and no leakes past the oil seals or valves was apparant so they are OK.

I have run the bike and it has perfect compression of 171 psi in each cylinder when cranking over with throttle wide open and the fuel turned off but the engine smokes on start up for a while and after running thge smoke stops. I have coverered only 35 miles since the rebuild. Is this smoking normal and will the rings take time to bed in and stop smoking?

If it is the valve seals that appeared OK during the bench test canI change them with out removing the cylinder heads? I seem to remember seeing an article somewhere on how to do it

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

How did you ride it during those 35 miles? In order to seat the rings, you have to put a pretty good load on it, which means short bursts of full throttle. It has to build up pressure in the combustion chamber to properly seat the rings, and being to easy on it will not build up that pressure. I suggest taking it out and doing a few full throttle runs from say 20 mph up to 60 mph, slow down, then do it again. Do that 7 or 8 times. That should seat the rings. If the rings have not seated by about 50 miles, they never will. The cylinder walls will become glazed. Then the only thing you can do, besides living with the smoke, is to pull the engine apart, rehone the cylinders, and install new rings, and start over again. Hopefully that can be avoided.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Did you hone the cylinders and gap the rings? Sorry to ask, but you did not mention it.

Bill

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

You really missed a golden opportunity to change the valve seals during the engine overhaul David.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the prompt replies. Yes I had the cylinders honed and carfefuly measured the gap of the new rings and made sure that the letter on the ring was facing upwards as per the book. I thought that as the valve seals had been replaced in the recent past and iIdid the leak test using gasoline poured into the ports with no leak past the seals it should be OK. " If it's not broke don't fix it" ?

However just to be sure I will replace the valve seals without removing the heads as I have found a thread that explainsthe procedure very well as I hate smoking engines!

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Its normal for them to smoke a little if been on side stand. As long as it goes away.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for interest its appreciated. I have coverered 75 miles now since re-commisioning the bike and this morning started it up and NO SMOKE from either bank of cylinders!!!. So I will not change the valve seals from the outside after all but now have the procedure and have made the spring compressor to do it if needed in the future.

I tend not to leave the bike for extended periods on the side stand as amaware that the left hand cylinders are lubricated through the con rods via holes in the big end shells. The oil squirts upwards onto the cylinder liners sometimes leaving residual oil that can run into the combustion chamber thus causing a little smoke on start up. This happens to some extent on my GL1000 as well as the GL1100.

Again thanks you input I am learning a lot about Goldwings and am about to recover the seat with the new cover ( £19.99 + tax and postage)obtained from David Silvers here in England. Then I will remove the final drive inspect it for wear and bearing and seals, repaintit silver and replace.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I've rebuilt a lot of (mostly car, some bikes) engines David. They often burn some oil for the first few miles or runs until the piston rings settle in. Your 75 miles before the smoke cleared isn't unusual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.