Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I picked up a 1981 1100 that does not run. The previous owner said he thought it was a belt, he heard a pop and the bike died. When I got it home I checked the belts, and timing arrrangment, and it appears correct. When I turn the crankshaft with a socket, it spins freely for a distance the stops abruptly. If I crankit the other way the same thing happens. Could it be a valve issue? Any ideas and pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

That would be my guess. If everything lines up, I'm willing to bet he broke a belt and replaced it, then discovered the problem. Pull the valve covers and see if something doesn't move when it should.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Yep, possible a bent valve stem - valve stuck in opened position. Look at the places where the rocker arms touches the valve stems - if any stem's tip is staying lower then the others while rocker arm doesn't press it, then you've got it.
Remove the spark plugs while checking (for case if there is any liquid inside a cylinder hydro locking it).

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

How much can you turn the crank before it stops. How many degrees of free rotation?

JD

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

If you're cranking the engine with the stator bolt at the rear of the engine under the small inspection cover then you should be cranking in a clockwise direction only. If you loosen that bolt then you may be creating new problems.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
How much can you turn the crank before it stops. How many degrees of free rotation?

JD
It shouldn't stop if the belts are time right. You will get some resistance from compression but it will keep turning. Take the spark plugs out to eliminate compression resistance before going any further.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

gido wrote:
If you're cranking the engine with the stator bolt at the rear of the engine under the small inspection cover then you should be cranking in a clockwise direction only. If you loosen that bolt then you may be creating new problems.
This happened on my 82 parts bike by PO. The bike locked up on him getting off the highway. The stator bolt backed out, the stator rotor slipped backs and jambed against the case locking up the engine. His mechanic thought a belt had broken. I found it when I went to remove the inspection cover and found it cracked and pushed out at the nut surface. I had the motor out so I pulled the rear engine cover off, inspected and reassembled. It still runs today.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
DriverRider wrote:
JD
It shouldn't stop if the belts are time right. You will get some resistance from compression but it will keep turning. Take the spark plugs out to eliminate compression resistance before going any further.
Since there has been some speculation about a stuck/bent valve being the cause here. My question regarding the crank movement, If it was a stuck valve I would expect to see about 300 degrees +/- of crank movement. If it was much less than something else is the root of the problem. For sure the plugs should be out.:cool:

JD

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

would be nice to hear back what the problem was. Belts breaking on a wing is pretty rare.
WILF

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Welcome Steven... but come back and update us on your problem..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.