Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys. Thanks for having a great site. My name is Will, and I hail from Muttieta Ca. Just recently had a 1983 GL1100i givin to me from a friend.
It was sitting for about 7 years, and not started for about 2 years. In my attempt to get it road worthy I found out that 2nd gear was shot, or at least something was wrong with the tranny. So i decided a engine swap was the best option for me. But the only motors I can find In my area are 1200cc. My question is can you swap these motors easily without alot of hassle. Oh yeah I would have to use my old carb manifold. If some one could give me some insight on this matter. thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

As I understand it the 1100 and 1200 engines are very different, I have heard the question asked before and the answer was a resounding no, either way you wont be able to just slot the 1200 lump in the 1100 frame.

Nick

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well I guess that answers my question. Maybe I'll get started on a full restore until I can find a new motor. How do you guys feel about bobbing or cafe conversions.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Is there anybody in the southern California area who might have an extra 1100 engine just laying around. maybe make some money off of.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

welsh winger wrote:
As I understand it the 1100 and 1200 engines are very different, I have heard the question asked before and the answer was a resounding no, either way you wont be able to just slot the 1200 lump in the 1100 frame.

Nick
Even if you can bolt it in the old carburetor assemblies will not fit as the 1200 is wider than the 1100.

As far as bobbing or cafe conversions go that depends on the condition of the bike, if it's in good shape I would be against it but a barn bike I would have no problem with.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

really the bike itself is in good condition, but the plastic is rotted, and the electronics are toast.(i.e. the radio, cb, etc.) I had the bike running and ideling, then I heard a small pop and it died. tried to restart and it wouldnt even turn over. later I noticed the back case was broken around the bolt for the stater.
oh yeah the air shocks are shot. It was free so no real complaining here, but it did get me real interested in Goldwings now.:action:

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

glasstat2 wrote:
Well I guess that answers my question. Maybe I'll get started on a full restore until I can find a new motor. How do you guys feel about bobbing or cafe conversions.
Go for it, Its your ride, all wing owners personalize, wish you luck with a motor.

Nick

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

if one of the 1200 motor you found is an 84 they will work in a 1100 as they hav rear ignition setup like the 1100 ...you have to change out igniton set up but it bolts right up and you do need the 1200 carb setup ....or you have to change heads also and make up the difference in the wider block .....im putting and 84 1200 in my 1100 standard and im useing the 1200 carbs ...im also useing early 1000 cams in the 1200 heads ....its a lot of work tho to do this but its not impossible ...the 84 1200 has the same exact gearing as the 83 1100....you have to be carful on the 1100 motors to the 80-81 1100s are geared real low compared to the 83 ...the 82 is geared closer but not as tall and there are some wiring issues too....one of the reason i went with the 84 1200 was strickly the gearing issue diffinitly better gearing than than 82 and earlyer 1100s ....

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

When/if my 1100 ever dies I will put a 1200 in. Just to show how crazy I am if I got a good deal on a 1500 might even cut the frame and fit it in.

The 12 bolts in you will need a 12 carb rack and some re-wire but it can be done.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I'm sorry but the 1200 engine wont fit on a 1100 frame. it has nothing to do with the ignition setups, the engine itself is bigger. ask joedrum wrote:
if one of the 1200 motor you found is an 84 they will work in a 1100 as they hav rear ignition setup like the 1100 ...you have to change out igniton set up but it bolts right up and you do need the 1200 carb setup ....or you have to change heads also and make up the difference in the wider block .....im putting and 84 1200 in my 1100 standard and im useing the 1200 carbs ...im also useing early 1000 cams in the 1200 heads ....its a lot of work tho to do this but its not impossible ...the 84 1200 has the same exact gearing as the 83 1100....you have to be carful on the 1100 motors to the 80-81 1100s are geared real low compared to the 83 ...the 82 is geared closer but not as tall and there are some wiring issues too....one of the reason i went with the 84 1200 was strickly the gearing issue diffinitly better gearing than than 82 and earlyer 1100s ....
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/86590.html

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

no william they will fit the 1100 ...iguess i didnt explane myself good ....they are wider but they fit all the mounts no problem ....the later yrs 85=87 actualy fit 1000 frames ...where a 1100 is hard to put in one cause of the rear ignition ...the deal is the 84 1200 is realy rather easy to put in the 1100 as the 1100 ignition will bolt up to the 84 1200 and the wiring is pretty easy....later yrs are harder to do cause there front ignition and would have to go with 1000 igniton and heads and all or complete 1200 wireing for the 1200 install ...but those motors fit right in 1000 frames and i have one of those to ....i dont mean to make it seem easy it alot of work to do ....but worth it to me cause i like the improved gear spead of the 1200s and the lighter and slightly lower final on the 1100s the 1000 final are to low IMHO...my 1000 has 1100 final drive installed so its not so low geared with 1200 ....hope im clearer now

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

glasstat2 wrote:
How do you guys feel about bobbing or cafe conversions.
You do whatever the hell you like with it dude, just let us know what you did!!! :waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.