Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have aquired an 82 Gl1100I and it is in great shape, but the exaust is louder than I like. Are there any baffels in the mufflers that could have been removed by PO. The exaust system looks to be in near perfect shape. It isn't real loud but louder than I would expect a Goldwing to be. Thanks for the great forum.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

That would depend on if this is the original exhaust or not. Most of the aftermarket exhaust systems are louder than the factory exhaust. The factory exhaust didn't have removable baffles. Mine was factory, but didn't have any exhaust manifold gaskets plus there were a couple of good sized holes on the underside. I also think that a Goldwing should be quiet, so I opted for a good used factory exhaust and new manifold exhaust gaskets instead. $100 vs $400 for the aftermarket.It's quiet as a mouse now.

Steve

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Goldwings are very quiet but the older bikes are a bit louder than the newer ones. I have an 81 1100i andI replaced the exhaust with factory original used exhaust very soon after getting it as the PO had hacked the exhaust using the crossove to route all four cylinders out one side.

I ride with the GWRRA Chapter here locally so lots of 1500 and 1800. They are all quieter than my 1100 but mine is pretty quiet now compared to what it was. The manifold gaskets are very important also to keeping the noise down as Steve mentioned.

Ride Safe

:action:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

This wing had extended turn down tips, after market I think. I took them off to see what it would sound like without them. Didn't quite it down much but it changed the sound to a lower pitch and sends it back instead of down to the ground. Sounds better I think, at least it doesn't sound like a quad racer anymore.:clapper:I think I'll leave it like this. Thanks folks for the response, this is great. Wayne (radioman)

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

The 1100 exhaust system don't have removable baffles. But they do have removable silencers in the "tips". There is a rivet in the bottom at the very end. If you have a little hole there instead the silencers have been removed.

If the rivet is there you will see a collar or "choke" int he end of the exhaust tip with a smaller hole. If you drill out the rivet and extract that choke you''f find a mesh tube surrounded by asbestos. If the asbestos is dug out the tube just pulls right out. This will result in a louder throatier exhaust note.

This was probably done to your Wing by a PO at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

sorry fellas,i vote for louder,not extremely but something to know my wing is running good,must be the old dragracer blood in me,as soon as i get back from my trip i am taking next week my 86 SEI will have a set of macs on it
if ya hear a loud 87 Wineberry going by in the NY-Vt-MA area in a week flag me down

:waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

i can still hear my radio so it must not be too loud

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
The 1100 exhaust system don't have removable baffles. But they do have removable silencers in the "tips". There is a rivet in the bottom at the very end. If you have a little hole there instead the silencers have been removed.

If the rivet is there you will see a collar or "choke" int he end of the exhaust tip with a smaller hole. If you drill out the rivet and extract that choke you''f find a mesh tube surrounded by asbestos. If the asbestos is dug out the tube just pulls right out. This will result in a louder throatier exhaust note.

This was probably done to your Wing by a PO at some point.
The perf. tubes are still in the pipes. If I take them out and the packing is gone, do you have a suggestion for a good replacement. Thanks for the good info. Wayne

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

pack them with steel wool but not real fine grade

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Just checked the pipes and the rivet was still there. I removed the rivet and attempted to remove the pipe. It is very very stuck and I can't remove it without total distruction, and I aint gonna do that, so I'm going to leave it alone, not that loud anyway. Thanks to all. Radioman

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Hey, Radioman. I had the same issue. I ended up destroying the collars that held the perforated pipe in place. I bought 2 large washers and JB Welded the perforated pipes to them. I then wrapped those with Moose brand muffler packing (Lots of off-roaders use it) and hammered them back in place. Definitely quieter now. It made a difference for me over long distances.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

see if their bashed thru...i had a 1100 with the pipes like that and it was louder...a bit faster and sounded pretty good...but ultimitly hard on the brain on extended rides

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.