Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, Does anyone know if the exhaust from a GL1100 will fit on a GL1000? I've been looking around for some time and have found a bunch of really nice 1100 exhausts. I can't see any differences, besides appearance. Same passenger peg mount and location, and I think the same head dimensions. Thanks, Jim

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I've seen this done. The 1100 exhausts will fit but the GL1200 ones won't. The GL1000 that I seen with the 1100 exhausts had the rear mount hole in the bracket on the exhaust filed out a bit wider (presumably it was a struggle to line up). Also looking from the back of the bike the pipes leaned inwards a bit (narrower frame at the back maybe), but I suppose you could just bend the brackets out a bit anyway.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well, this is for anyone else thinking about fitting newer 1100 pipes to a 1000- you can with little work. The heads for the 1100s are the same as 1000s and the frame/peg/muffler mount is the same also. What is different is the location for the cross-pipes- because the 1100s have a longer wheelbase/swingarm. Just use oxy-acetylene to dog-leg the cross-over pipes. They will still join in the middle with the same clamp.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hello everyone,
I'm attaching a jpeg of the cross-over pipe dog-legs around the rear tire. I think that my leaky left rear exhaust port is from the left dog-leg being very slightly on the high side. I installed the right side exhaust first, and naturally, it just bolted right up. Then I installed the left side... I connected the cross-pipe joint, then installed the header connections. At this point, with out lifting heavily on the left tail pipe, I couldn't get the hanger bolted at the footpeg. After a little trial fitting, and reheating it went together fine... I thought! So now I need to remove the left side, regasket it and hope that the aspestos packing at the crossover location can take one more work-out!

Also, yes, the centerstand does interfere with the cross-over, soooo.. add heat to the bottoms of the crossovers and just reform the lower portions of the crossovers where the stand needs more room on both sides.

I hope this pic helps other old gl owners keep these great bike on the road! I'm sure excited about getting on the road next spring. Cheers, Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Well done man. Looks like you're managing even though it isn't quite plain sailing! :clapper:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

jimchraitiansen, very well done. I wonder if you would mind posting your work on another Gold Wing site that I help manage;

http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrill/messages.msnw

Guys there can use your kind of expertise and know how. Everyone else is welcome to come check out the site also. It's not as professionally laid out as this wonderful site but there's lots of good solid research and development type of info out there and the guys there are just as great as they are here. You can join the group or just visit if you like.

Vic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.