Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many a thread has been written about the "popping", and many answers have been given. I too suffer. My issue is so intermittent it is driving me crazy. At idle it may not do it for 15-20 seconds, then do it for 5 seconds straight. At 1500 - 3000 rpm same issue. I rebuilt the carbs less than 2K miles ago and recently resynched them. It has the Jardine exhaust w/ crossover. I removed the air cleaner to expose the plenum. With the bike on the center stand it pops through both exhausts but not through the carbs. Could it be detonation? Many thanks.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Could be a cracked coil.

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
I know many a thread has been written about the "popping", and many answers have been given. I too suffer. My issue is so intermittent it is driving me crazy. At idle it may not do it for 15-20 seconds, then do it for 5 seconds straight. At 1500 - 3000 rpm same issue. I rebuilt the carbs less than 2K miles ago and recently resynched them. It has the Jardine exhaust w/ crossover. I removed the air cleaner to expose the plenum. With the bike on the center stand it pops through both exhausts but not through the carbs. Could it be detonation? Many thanks.
I wonder if you don't have an issue with the air cutoff valve on the carbs. If the engine is not misfiring it might be the mixture in the exhaust is igniting causing the backfire in the exhaust only?
If the slow speed jets are not adjusted properly it can cause a condition in the exhaust where you can get occasional backfires as well.

Screenshot (21)_LI.jpg

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
I wonder if you don't have an issue with the air cutoff valve on the carbs. If the engine is not misfiring it might be the mixture in the exhaust is igniting causing the backfire in the exhaust only?
If the slow speed jets are not adjusted properly it can cause a condition in the exhaust where you can get occasional backfires as well.

View attachment 323814
That's a GL1000 diagram, not an 1100. Your theory is valid though.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,086 Posts
You may need to rejet with the non-standard exhaust. An engine is an air pump. If it flows air better it will need more fuel to keep the air-fuel mixture correct. Exhaust popping indicates a lean condition. Running it with the airfilter removed will make the condition worse. Try doing some throttle chops and inspect the plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts