Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem long-winded, but I feel it would be better to lead up to why I'm using this.

I won't deny, this bike needs a lot of work, probably more than it's actually worth, but my stubbornness will not let me call it quits. Let me get to my main problem that is keeping my from going any further.

I am having starting issues with going through multiple solenoids to find a solution. First was the original solenoid which had the bone blade fuse. That wasn't doing the job, and I've basically summed it up from what I've read on the net and these forums that it's pretty much crap. So I scrapped that solenoid and went to a universal solenoid that I've read was a good upgrade.

Before reading about the F492 Solenoid, this is what I was using. The image is the second one. The first one crapped out about year back. First time using the first one of this same type, it worked for a bit. I was able to get the bike to turn, but it would only run for 30seconds at most without playing with the throttle. Pulled the carbs, cleaned out everything, jets and all, put it all back together. after that, started it up, would run for a minute or so without playing with the throttle. Then adjusted all the outside carb screws by ear, then fired her up again. In Neutral, no Throttle play, she ran beautifully for 30 minutes untouched until I cut her off.

Btw, I did all those starts by jumping the battery because it wouldn't hold a charge. After it ran for 30min and I cut it, I pulled the battery and let it slow charge overnight. Put it back in the bike and the Solenoid would only click. Pulled the Starter thinking that would be the issue. Reason being, even though I got the bike started, when starting, it did seem to have a slow drag before kicking. So after pulling it out, tried a lone starter jump to see if the gear would turn. It looked and sounded as if it was struggling before it stopped. Pulled it apart, cleaned it up, repacked it, and still the same effect.

At this point, I was hard on cash and couldn't do anything else for a good while sadly. A year has passed, I knew what needs to be done. Needed to clean those Carbs again which I did on Sunday. And after I can atleast hear it attempt to turn, I will need to drain the old gas and do an oil change, simply because she has been sitting for a good while. anyways...

I saw on eBay, an Auctioned Starter that I won for $36. Before I installed it, after arriving 3 days later, I bought a new solenoid as shown in the image above as well as a new battery. Installed the new(used lol) starter and tried to start it, only getting clicks. So then i installed the new solenoid, turn the key and the starter started turning, a lot better than the original starter too. No weak drag like the last. She didn't kick, but at least she was trying, for a bit... pulled off the fake tank, the air filter, and grabbed a can of starting spray, sprayed a little into the Carbs, almost had it kick, then "click...click........click...." My hopes down the drain...

Been reading up on the web and the forums for solutions. Been seeing Tractor, ATV solenoids, but the most common one I've seen was the "Victory Lap" F492 ford Solenoid. this:

From what I've read unless misinterpreting it. Yellow/Red to "S", Battery to Left, Starter to Right, "I" not in use, and Green/Red to base of Solenoid like so:

Everything connected, and I get nothing, not even a click. What could I be doing wrong?

I'm trying the Ford route, because I've read that not only is it more affordable, but supposedly more reliable as well. I've also pulled my grounds and cleaned the contacts and surface with a small copper brush for clean contact.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
Connect a wire to the battery + terminal and tip it to the solenoid input. If it clicks, you have a connection problem between the starter button and the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't do it exactly like that, but I did cross a screw driver on both solenoid posts, press the start button and it did click, but only by doing that. I mean, if I new what keep burning out the universal solenoid, i would stick to that, but $56 gets expensive really fast.

want me to try it your way as well?

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
If you shorted across both solenoid posts and the starter did not run then something is wrong besides the solenoid. Do you have a meter you can do some testing with?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, just a test light. I use to have a meter, a nice one too, wish I knew what happened to it...:sadguy:

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
OK, test at the yellow/red wire for power when you push the start button, then test at the base of the solenoid where you connected the G/R wire, if it shows power there then you have no ground circuit (i.e. neutral switch) does the neutral light work? Does it work if you pull the clutch? If the solenoid does click do you get power to the starter?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have to get back to you on that. Maybe if I get out of work early tomorrow, or Saturday. Until I know the power is stable, I keep the battery out of the bike, and it's a little late to be working on it now =)

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
A solenoid is just a heavy duty electric switch. Shorting the terminal with the screwdriver is similar to the contacts in the solenoid. It sounds like you have a problem with the starter or a bad earth. If possible try and hook up more power with a jump start pack or jumper cables, if it winds over ok , then more than likely the starter is faulty.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
One problem on the 1100 is the clutch safety switch. for testing remove the wires and jump them togeather. REMEMBER HAVE THE BIKE IN NETURAL

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
If you haven't checked the ground strap, that would be next. Follow the negative terminal to the triangular shaped upper motor hanger brackets. The ground is usually behind it. You can pull it off, the engine will not move. Check for corrosion on the cable, but is often where the cable goes against the engine. Use a flat file to clean it up. It must have a good clean ground for it to run bigger items like the starter.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Just paying way too much for the solenoid..:ROFL: they can be had for $14..but beyond that things to check all mentioned above..ground, clutch safety witch..you can short it out at the clutch lever so it's not in the mix, usually a click at the solenoid means its' working the click is the contact plate jumping up to make contact.

Key on, no starter switch pushed..short the two big studs ont eh solenoid the the stater should spin and bike start..if no spin solenoid or starter issues..ground, shorted starter, bad lead to starter.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that ford F492 solenoid i got for $18 at Autozone.

As for everything else, I haven't been able to do any work on it today, worked from 9:45am to 9:30pm, so it's too dark and too late, I also won't have time to look at it Saturday. Sunday is my day off though, so after I pull my power steering unit from my car and fix that, I will go back to the bike. I will keep ya'll updated, and thank you for the support =)

I wanna ride Maaannnn!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would a bad Regulator be a potential culprit? I explained my situation to one of my coworkers, and he said it could be the Regulator and/or Stator. Been reading up on regulators an it says a bad one can overcharge. Could that short out my Solenoid as well? Though I have a test light, it doesn't display the voltage.

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
No, only if it is not charging the battery would it have any effect on starting. Overcharging would just ruin the battery.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see. Well I did order one anyways. With my last battery not holding a charge, and this one slowly going down, wouldn't hurt to replace it. I can also say that all my contacts(battery, solenoid, starter, Grounds) are all clean, and even so, I took a small copper brush to each of them for assurance, including that negative end located behind that triangular bracket.

EDIT: Can anyone confirm that my solenoid appears to be connected properly in the picture in my first post? I'm sure it is, but a second opinion would be nice. =)

EDIT2: I think I figured out half my problem. I need to establish my ground(green/red) and my solenoid. The way I had the ground was both right and wrong. I now get clicking when pressing the button, but still no turning.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Does the starter run when you short across the two large terminals at the solenoid? How about straight from the battery pos. to the starter?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm just getting sparks like that. But in my starters defense, before trying this F492 solenoid, the starter was turning like a pro with the Universal Solenoid before it started to only click.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
It sounds like a bad starter to me. I would take the starter out and disassemble it and check it out. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, take it to a starter repair shop and have them look at it.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I pulled the starter that bought online out of the bike. Took it apart, and found a lot of carbon dust. Cleaned that out, scrubbed the Armature, housing, and bottom end with a toothbrush and Mineral Spirits. Hot soapy water after. let it dry, put it back together, then tried to start the bike. I started hearing a whining grinding sound. Went to put the starter again and noticed the back of it was hot. Thinking back, I never examined the Plate Brushes.

So I pulled it apart again and... the negative brush was so worn down, that it was even with the brush house, and the housing caught onto the conductor. and....;

The third came out a little blurry...

Well luckily I didn't toss my old starter. I pulled the Armature and the Bushing plate from the old one(which were still in good condition), and put them in the other starter. I did this because the housing was in better condition as well as the end with the Reduction gears. Also the brushes were better. Cleaned the old parts, put it all together, reinstalled the starter again, turned the key.... click.... click... about to kick my own butt... I look down and realized I forgot to connect the Negative to the starter. Connected the starter up, pressed the button, and I've got a clean smooth turn!

Did an oil change since it has been sitting for awhile, filled the tank, grabbed a can of starting spray, and tried my luck. I fired for a second, then gave a nice loud backfire. Now I know my major issues are solved. Won't be able to do it till Sunday, but next I will need to check the plugs, and I may need to Resync the carbs again(though hopefully not), considering it has been sitting.

It was late at night, so I didn't want to disturb the neighbors, so I called it a night. I was at it all day long, but I'm almost there.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.