Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As many know I have been repairing/replacing parts on a 1981 GL1100 that I bought. One thing that had to be replaced was the fairing.
There are things I have notice between the 1981 fairing and a 1983 fairing.

Thicker plastic

On the 81, the screws use the plastic to bolt to. (needless to say that's why I had to replace it.. large breakage where the screws wentin.) The 83 uses bushings. (no breakage)

1983 has more flexibility to the fairing as a whole.

Reinforcement at drilled holes. (windshield, turn signals)

More room inside the fairing for wiring andmounting the radio parts. (it was a pain to remove the parts from the 81)

So if you need to get a new fairing I suggest getting a 83 model. The one way I would say you can tell is look at the left hand cubby/glove compartment. A 83 will have metal for the screws to go in to. A 81 uses plastic. (maybe the 82..I don't know)

Anything I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I have an '81 Interstate parts bike, and an '83 Interstate that I ride. I currently have the '81 fairing on the '83 bike. I also have a cherry mint fairing which will be painted someday when the bike gets painted. Not sure what year it is, but it has all the holes in it for the speakers, center gauges, etc.. My '81 and '83 fairing just has 3 large holes. If you look a the listing for fairings for '83 there are several listed. Some are different colors of course, but for different models I would imagine.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

What I'm trying to say and it's not coming over too well. Is that Honda realize that there first fairing weren't made too well. So they made improvements.
The question is when did they make these improvements?

What I'm posting is that I have found a difference between a 81 and a 83. So somewhere between these years the improvements were made.

I'm just posting this information so somebody in the future that is looking for a replacement fairing will have a guide line to go by.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Coming over crystal clear. If you look at the '80 GL1100 bike and the '83 GL1100 there were a ton of improvements all over the bike. They may not have realized it wasn't made too well, just how they could make it better. Only way manufacturers like Honda get to be number 1 is to constantly try to make things better and better.

What I hate is ebay sellers than misrepresent their items as fitting bikes they never would fit. Like an '81 brakecaliper as fitting all model GL1100's. Among other things.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The fairing was changed in 1982 Corneo. Better use of bushes to stop cracks etc. They made these improvements for 1982 as this was the first year of the Aspencade and presumably Honda considered the extra weight the fairing would be hauling around straight from the factory. Needless to say, the same fairng was fitted to the Interstate as well from 82. The only difference between a US market fairing and the European & UK one is that the stripes are subtly different on all model years.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I did notice that when I was painting it. The stripes were different. The 81 fairing had the stripes closer together and the 83 ran more of the out line of the fairing.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Same thing happened with the 1500. Different saddlebage seals around 1990. It's probably not easy to get things right first time, even in these days of CAD etc.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Was wondering if someone could tell me for certain if a fairing from an 80 interstate will bolt right up to an 82 aspencade before i start taking things apart?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

on my 80 1100 i noticed my ferring cracking so i drilled out the holes put steel sleeves in and used a about a 1/8th inch of mudflap rubber around the base of it used bolts and tighend it down now there are no issues and the thing barely vibrates

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

louie1960 wrote:
Was wondering if someone could tell me for certain if a fairing from an 80 interstate will bolt right up to an 82 aspencade before i start taking things apart?
They should interchange, the bike's frame is the same so even if the mounting holes were different you could change the fairing mount along with the fairing. But I'm almost positive there's no difference in the mounting. I have swapped an '80 and 81 fairing okay.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

hey exavid thanks for the response. im sending the body parts from an 80i to be painted and swap them for the same parts on the 82a i am currently riding. i knew the front fenders are different and wasnt sure about the fairing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.