Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

As many know I have been repairing/replacing parts on a 1981 GL1100 that I bought. One thing that had to be replaced was the fairing.
There are things I have notice between the 1981 fairing and a 1983 fairing.

Thicker plastic

On the 81, the screws use the plastic to bolt to. (needless to say that's why I had to replace it.. large breakage where the screws wentin.) The 83 uses bushings. (no breakage)

1983 has more flexibility to the fairing as a whole.

Reinforcement at drilled holes. (windshield, turn signals)

More room inside the fairing for wiring andmounting the radio parts. (it was a pain to remove the parts from the 81)

So if you need to get a new fairing I suggest getting a 83 model. The one way I would say you can tell is look at the left hand cubby/glove compartment. A 83 will have metal for the screws to go in to. A 81 uses plastic. (maybe the 82..I don't know)

Anything I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

What I'm trying to say and it's not coming over too well. Is that Honda realize that there first fairing weren't made too well. So they made improvements.
The question is when did they make these improvements?

What I'm posting is that I have found a difference between a 81 and a 83. So somewhere between these years the improvements were made.

I'm just posting this information so somebody in the future that is looking for a replacement fairing will have a guide line to go by.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I did notice that when I was painting it. The stripes were different. The 81 fairing had the stripes closer together and the 83 ran more of the out line of the fairing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.