Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

im having hard time adjusting fairing mirror. is there a simple way? i got a wrap around shield

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I'm seeing in your info(left side of your post)a GL1100 Interstate.. I'm not quite sure what kind of problem you could be having really.

I've got a wrap-around windshield on my 1100A also, but it in no way impedes my mirror adjustment... I just reach out and adjust, or if its a major adjustment I'll only adjust at a stand-still, still just reaching out to the mirrors.

What is it that you're having a hard time with? Are the mirrors extremely tight in thier seats? If so that can be adjusted a bit, albeit a little tricky with the nuts that are used on them. If that's the case, you can be basically talked through that pretty easily.

There's alot of info and experience here, so I'm sure someone can help, but I'm just not grasping the situation totally I guess. Wish I could help you more. :)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

You just grab the mirror head and twist it. Could a previous owner have glued the mirror head to the stalk? Some of them do that when the mirrors get loose.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Bootwing1100 wrote:
You just grab the mirror head and twist it. Could a previous owner have glued the mirror head to the stalk? Some of them do that when the mirrors get loose.

Yes they do definately come loose...it can be a pain too... if the problem is at the ball/swivel. I've had the mirrors loose at times,, and had to adjust the screw/spring within(actually inside) the ball/swivel... so... it goes to what I was saying about the mirrors actually being "tight in the seat".

First..there's the screws that hold the whole assembly to the fairing(one each end of the mirror base). On the other end of those screws are nuts... not hex-nuts though... these nuts are shaped to fit thier seat(they also have a molded seat), so as not to spin and to hold them for screw install. Be careful as you remove the mirrors that those nuts don't fall in the fairing.. If I recall(its been a few years or more since I had mine off)... the easiest way to get around in there for mirror removal is toremove the front blinker (which gives access, and is only 2 screws to remove)... and remove your speakers(provided you have them, any case remove any interferance on the inside of fairing.. then youshould be able to see how these mirrors remove and mount...

From there, theres a screw/spring inside(or underneath) the base.. check that out..carefully, as sometimes(usually over the years) that area and threads can get corroded.. either to the point the screw is all the way in, and won't provide the tension needed to hold the mirror stable, or quite possibly in your case.. the corrosion has led to the whole assembly freezing up... Thats seemed to be an area that can collect moisture easily, being right at top of the fairing..especially if the bike is #1 washed alot.. or #2 left out, or used in harsher conditions.. I would hope "washed alot" would be the answer really though.. haha.. :)

So it might take a little digging to come up with your solution.. and maybe its fixable, it all depends on whats in there though. A set of mirrors for these bikes is relatively cheap..I've seen them for around $40..just an FYI there.. do shop though if you need them as there can be deals out there. (New mirrors are really nice though, ask me how I know..something like a new windshield..its a new outlook..)

I'm hoping someone has something to add here too..as it could be something way off of where I'm looking too.. I'm justsharing mybit ofexperience.. its all good .. Have a great day. :)

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Bootwing1100 wrote:
Oh yes.... that just might do it too.. and be the easiest fix of all.. haha.. any case you now know how it basically works. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.