Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are some pictures of my '82 GW tank. The doors do not fit very well and the big door has a dent. From the pictures do these look like the right doors for this tank?

Also I am thinking of fabbing up a 1-piece removable cover that would fit better and have a cleaner look...comments? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks
Brian

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Honda didn't do a great job on the tank door fitment. My 83 was like that and was one of my first questions after joining the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Iv'e seen a thread by someone that did something like that. He made a one piece door that fit well and had hidden latch I think. Clean look.
Not sure where I was probly on NGW site on underground customizing .
Wilf

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
They never fit perfect, which is why they originally came with rubber strips between each side. You seem to be missing them.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
That's pretty much how my '83 doors fit. Like FitzAl says, you are missing the rubber strips that go between the larger halves of the cover. Those won't make a bit of difference in aligning the doors though.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for all the responses. BTW does anyone know what the main tank is made of? What kind of prep for paint it would need?

Brian

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Ok thanks for all the responses. BTW does anyone know what the main tank is made of? What kind of prep for paint it would need?

Brian
If you are referring to the gas tank....steel.

Faux tank above ..... sides are ABS plastic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.