Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all...i just bought a very nice '81 interstate with 63 thou miles..i have been into bikes since 75 when i bought every nut and bolt and frame ect to build my first harley...well in 2000 i sold my last bike and now got this...i love it..but the rpms are so high at 65..so my little research has led me to believe i can put a final driive directly on with no other mods to wheel or such from a '83 and lower rpms about 500...let me know if this is good or not..i really dont know if i want a higher ratio in 1st gear or wont i even notice?? i am tearing bike down this winter just to mirror polish engine and all parts ..then add some light bars driving lights and gaurds ect...also to do the alternator and starter cleaning ect...thanks all and have enjoyed lurking for the past week..Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the difference between your harley and the wing--- ARE night and day .your not going to hurt the 81 with higher rpm. it thrives on them.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I can tell you this much. I bought a '1976 wing brand new and the one thing that annoyed me about the bike is it seemed like it was geared too high. At 70 mph I was turning 3400 rpms.But it was gutless, unless I down shifted a gear or two to get things moving. I now have a '82 wing and at 70 mph it's spinning about 4300 rpms. Now that's more then the '76 turned, but when you crack the throttle it takes off like it should.Remember where the red line is on these bikes so at 70 mph, the motor is only turning half of what the max redline is. Besides having more usable power without having to down shift, it still getting in the 40-43 MPG range.,

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

well thanks for the reassurance...it really doesnt anoy me..just sounds really nice at 3800 rpms..i just checked my compression and its at 140 in 2 jugs and 144 in one and 142 in the other...i really like working on bikes so this winter i will be removing engine and rering and lap valves and check all the bearing tolerances..new belts and clutch ect..i am very good at these things and love to do it..it will be show room this spring..by the way i lurked here for a week and just had to join in..Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

During the winter things can get slow here so, take some pictures of your redo and post them up. By the way did you have the throttle all the way open when you did your compression tests?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

yes i had the throttle wide open...with it closed it was only 68psi...i tested both ways just to see difference..and i will kepp a pic file...Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Changing the rear end on the wing would be a waste of time. The big difference in the '81 and '83 lies inside the engine, in the transmission gearing. Not an easy swap of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.