Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!
i've been fixing the motor on my 81 gl1100 after the primary chain broke, and im looking at the final drive shaft; if you are familiar it has two sets of teeth on it and it is the last connection out of the motor, it has the driveshaft spline on it. there is a single tooth missing. when engaged appx. 3 teeth on each gear 6 total mesh at any given time. should i be worried? i know if i had a bigger wallet i would not think twice. sixty bux for this part, ive been saving for months just to get the gasket kit and new timing belts. i am on a serious budget, which is why i even posted this to begin with. is this tooth going to cause me a problem? or can i probably get away without replacement?
also, anybody can recommend a good sealant for the crankcase halves? my first rebuild. thank you so much in advance for your time!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:claps:
You might get away with the missing gear tooth but you've spent some time and money on this so why risk turning your engine into a pile of scrap metal?

On the case sealant again why take risks? Spend the money on the recomended Honda sealant.

A couple of months of Krap Dinners and tube steaks is a small price to pay for an engine that you have confidence in.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
A breaker should have one for next to nothing. EBay has a few people who think there's gold in goldwings, but wade through it and you will find one for $10 plus shipping. I would call Wingovations or Cycle Psycho.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Save up, replace it...do it right once. It'd probably be noisy and other teeth could be damaged in ways that aren't obvious. I like Hondabond HT. The tube has red trim...don't use the hondabond with blue trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red hondabond! And I will keep searching on eBay, you've convinced me. So- I didn't do anything to the pistons cylinders and didn't replace the bearing shells for the connecting rods. Nothing on any of these components look too ****** and is still within reasonable spec. Your opinions? Would you change anything out and why? You have experience and I do not. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
In a good hearted moment I will send you the gear and a tube of sealant for the price of postage. I'll send you a PM (check your notifications at the upper right corner.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
very nice dave.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
I hope you found the broken teeth and got them out of there. That could be the cause of the chain breaking in the first place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yes, everything came out and inspected and hit with a vaccume cleaner nozzle. It seems that the primary chain guide wore through until the chain started rubbing on the bolts for the guide. Then the chain broke. That's my best guess on the broken primary chain. Tons of little parts rattling around in the guts I tell ya

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Oh yes, everything came out and inspected and hit with a vaccume cleaner nozzle. It seems that the primary chain guide wore through until the chain started rubbing on the bolts for the guide. Then the chain broke. That's my best guess on the broken primary chain. Tons of little parts rattling around in the guts I tell ya

That gives me a though on something else to check. There is an oil scavenger pump in the clutch housing, sure you saw it. It pumps excess oil from the clutch and sprays it on the primary chain. I would think just splash oil would be enough but apparently Honda didn't. It has been found that the pump inlet can get plugged and the usual symptom is the clutch will not fully release because of too much oil in the housing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.