Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 1100 project and while trying to put new seals on the circlip where the holes are broke off on both ends.Any suggestions or is it hopeless? I did get one side off.The other fork has me discouraged cause i dont see it coming off.And i am not wanting to spend the money on a whloe set only needing one good one.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
It's usually possible to get a 90 degree machinist's or sharp pick tool in the groove and pry the end of the snap ring out. I've done it more than once that way, have a pick in one hand and a screwdriver or knife blade handy in the other so that once the end come out of the groove you can pry it upward a bit. Just keep working the pick around the edge of the ring until you can get enough of the end to get hold of with a needle nose plier.
Some times a new seal is thick enough to make it difficult to push the circlip or snap ring down far enough to engage the groove. A good trick when reinstalling the snap ring on top of the seal is to slip it in place above the seal and then use a piece of ABS pipe big enough to slip over the fork tube. You can split the piece of ABS, stick the two halves back together around the fork tube and use a couple hose clamps to hold it together. Then just use slide the tube down on the snap ring and pop it a couple times using the piece of ABS pipe like a slide hammer. The clip will pop nicely into the groove then all you need to do is to check the ends to make sure they are fully seated.

·
Administrator
28,085 Posts
That is a dilemma, my thought is to drill a small hole from the outside at exactly where the clip is and push it out of the groove with a punch and get a screwdriver behind it. The hole won't hurt anything and you can plug it with RTV or something.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As Paul said use an o-ring pick or dental pick to pry the end out of the groove but fist use his slide hammer idea to drive the ring and seal down a little.

·
Premium Member
12,884 Posts
Did the tips break off because of rust ? If so I would spray a little PB Blaster on the snapring/circlip . I would also take a small punch and lightly tap all the way around the clip to help loosen it up in the groove . then proceed with the dental pick or whichever means you try and work the ends out . If you can have a second person to help , try and have a thin flat blade screwdriver ready to get behind the ring as soon as your able to get the end to lift out of the groove.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys.I have tried all those things mentioned except drilling a hole from the outside.The dental picks i have just are not strong enough.A right angle pick might work if i could find a strong one.ther is very little working room in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.