Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey every one I'm afraid i have run out of tricks trying to put my fork cap and spring back into my 82 Aspencade ,any tips?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Yep make one of these...

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If the forks are on the bench it is a bitch but once they're on the bike I find it very easy and I'm only 150# with a pocket full of rocks.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I put my cap nut in my vice and put the tube down onto it with great force, I was able to screw that cap on after a few tries at turning it on. With the cap in the vice, it wasn't going anywhere, turning the tube gave me better leverage. It really wasn't that hard. I also drilled and tapped my caps and put an 1/8" pipe thread plug in them. Makes filling and changing the oil if I ever need to (Which i will this week) a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I use a ratcheting tie down strap. i loop it around the fork, use a 1/2" ratchet and socket on cap, start tightening down the strap and there ya go. Once the cap mates with the tube, start turning the ratchet, get two or three good turns on the cap and take the strap off. On the bike it can be a bit trifling. With the fork off it is pretty easy. you can use duct tape to hold the strap on the ratchet, I just use my hand.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

With the forks mounted on the bike I use a method similar to Ken Bergen's - although I've got his 150# beat by more than a little bit!

Got a 12" table leg from the hardware store. Removed the screw/bolt from the leg with a pair of locking pliers and cut a notch to fit the fork cap with a saw and chisel. Reinforced the cut with a hose clamp.

Standing on the footpegs allows me more than enough leverage to push the cap down, align the threads, and screw it in by hand. By using no tools at the beginning I reduce the chance of cross-threading.

Richard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

I DID THE SAME AS GIDO ALMOST ..USED 1"1/4 PVC PIPE X 2' WITH A PVC T TO MAKE A BIG T ON THE TOP SO I COULD PUSH DOWN TO PUT THE CAP ON WORKED REAL GOOD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.