Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any info on installing a 85 gl1200 fork on my 81 1100 would be appreciated. If you have given this a go I would like to hear about it.I've done some research on the basics. Honda bearing PN's are the same, so the steering stems would have the same ID,OD. I was wondering if there would be alenght difference of the frame neck tube. Of course whatI am after here is the improved braking system, and fork braceas well as the cast wheel ( I already have the 83 rear set up in my possession, although not installed). My current forks continue to puke oil after seal replacements. How about the rear drive interchange ? Is it possible to install the final drive from the 85 on the 81.I found the 81 in a boat barn with 13,768 miles on the clock, runs well enough and with some additional TLC should prove to be a great bike again. Unfortunately, it appears to have been ordered with the Quaker Oats oatmeal handling package. After putting premium tires and other upgrades into her, still not confidence inspiring at speed.I have access to a low mileage 85 rolling chassis for a song and was wondering if thetechnological improvements would be worth the efforts. I have checked the old comstars over to make sure there are no cracks or loose rivets.Looking forward giving the old girl a second life. She started life as a standard, the original owner bought the Hondaline fairing when the bike was puchased. I located a Hondaline luggage set and installed that so I guess she is on her way to being an Interstate, and all for just over a grand, there is a God.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the 1200 fork tubes have a hole where the air is injected, unlike the 80-82 and 83 where the air hose is connected on the spring cap. on the 1200 there is an air injector (air equalizer) im not sure if you can fit it on the 1100 triple tree.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I would be looking to graft the entire triple tree, I know the stem size is correct, however I am concerned with the height or length of the tree itself. Thanks for the input.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I would say take some measurements. I'm thinking though that if there is a diference in the height of the head tube tha tit might be possible to use the center from the 80 with the upper and lower parts ( i on't knwo waht the names for these things are) that make upt he tripple tree from 1200. The clamps points on the forks may then be a little closer togehter but I can't see how that would be a problem.

Then too Imay be way off.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have access to a 85 complete rolling chassis for CHEAP, and this is why, I am interested in the swap. I know for a fact that the 85's have larger diameter fork tubes if only by a millimeter or so. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine installed a complete front end off of a 84 on his 81. a few years ago . That was stem ,forks, wheel, brakes etc. He has been driving it for a few years now without any problems.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.