Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1100 Front Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  swjones214 
#1 ·
Is it possible to replace the front brake master cylinder reservoir on an 82 GL1100? If so, how is it seperated it from the brake handle frame? And does anyone know where to find a non-plastic replacement?

#2 ·
If I remember right the reservoir is only held on to the master cylinder by an o-ring after the cap and screws have been removed. As far as replacement I am not sure if there is anything other than plastic.
I am sure someone with more experience with this will be along shortly.

#3 ·
They pry up out of the single o-ring into the master cylinder.

Yup only the plastic replacement reservoir available. I think they are available through western Honda online. Or Cyclemax.

You could get a 1500 master cylinder if you want metal. Lots OD them for @$25 on fleebay.

#4 ·
I'll do the 1500 part. The plastic ones are crap. Thanks for the suggestion.

#6 ·
Yes Raven the 1500 front master cylinder uses the same brakelight switch, fits the bars, and the banjo on the 1100 original lines will work fine. The only change you need to make is to use the banjo bolt for the 1500 cylinder insted of the 1100. I use one on my 83 Aspencade and love it

#8 ·
TBear, thats a good point that 77Pinto brings up, one caliper versus two. Have you experienced any issues with that? Does it push enough fluid to drive both calipers?

#9 ·
that is true. My 83 has the linked brakes so just one caliper on the front master. have a friend that put one on an 82, handle pulls just a bit farther than mine does but can still lock up the front wheel nearly do a stoppie. there is a company that makes new ones on Ebay, all metal and look a lot like 1500 ones. They say they fit 82 , 83 1100 and the 1200's too, all the ones with double piston calipers

#10 ·
I bought one of those off eBay. Short story is, they are very very well made and a great product. But they are only good for the '83 with linked brakes. They do not push enough fluid for two calipers. I have first hand experience with them. The guy that sells them is a top notch seller in my opinion, especially when it comes to working out any issue you may have. But the bottom line is they don't move enough volume for two calipers.

Your best option is to simply replace the reservoir with an OEM kit. Cylcemax has them. And they are great to deal with...not the fastest but definitely the most reliable vendor I've ever dealt with.

I have found that if you turn the old reservoir 90° it's easier to pry it out with a strong screw driver. It does take a good bit of force to get it to pop out. Getting the new one in is easier.

You may think the plastic reservoir is crap, but look at it this way...it lasted 30 years. Do you think you're going to still be riding that thing in another 30 years?

Save yourself the headache of fiddling with aftermarket crap and just buy the OEM parts to rebuild your master cylinder. it really is the BEST way to go. Take it from the guy who had to learn the hard way and didn't get his Wing on the road until September this year. All because he was trying to find something better than stock. Trust me, nothing is.

#11 ·
One more thing, while you're at it send Lopeha a private message and order yourself a set of stainless steel lines, they make a huge difference.

#13 ·
I suppose the good news is that I have the Valkyrie all ready to go, so I can take my time on the Wing and do this right, evenif we don't get it on the road next year. I've already ordered the master cylinder for the GL1500, so I'll give it a whack once it ets here. New reservoir on Cyclemaxis only $32. My problem with the original master cylinder is that it has a sheared screw, so I having a heck of a time getting the old reservoir off. I may just have to dig out the sawzall and get busy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.