Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all:waving:

Only my second posting and already I feel right at home. I'm looking for some assitance with a brake problem I have. The left front caliper on my GL1100 (early '82 pre linked brake) has ceased to function. The caliper is beyond repair having previously been damaged. I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere - at a reasonable price., so,,,,

1. Does anyone have a spare that they might be willing to part with at a reasonable price?
  2. Alternatively, does anyone know if the '79/'80 GL1000KZ or the later GL1100 linked brake can be utilised (or possibly early CBX/CB900F etc)?
regards

FX (desperately searching ebay)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi FX, welcome to the forum. The '82 is in a class by itself where the calipers are concerned. The pre '82 GoldWings use a single caliper piston about 38mm. In '82 Honda went to a dual piston caliper about 25mm. In '83 Honda went to the linked brakes system and with this changed the piston diameters on the calipers to make the linked brakes work evenly. Your best bet is either ebay or one of the bike breakers listed at the top of this forum. Keep us informed of your progress and there will always be someone on here to help.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi all

Looks like I managed to solve my own problem. I've picked up a set of CB750/900F calipers which are almost exactly the same, the only difference is in the thickness of the calipers (inside edge to outside edge - about 8mm). The caliper piston is the same diameter, the brake pads are the same, as are the caliper mounts. I'll let you know how I get on.....

FX:)

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Hi FXRman

I am/ was having problems with my front left caliper also.. I have a gl1100A I got a rebuild kit from the local Honda dealer and plan on rebuilding it this winter. I bought a set of calipers off evilbay... If you still need it let me know and I can sell you the caliper for what paid for it (since I now have 2 for each side)..

Welcome to the greatest GW site on the web:waving:

Digger

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hi FX, the 1982 is indeed a rare one as far as front calipers go. Honda usually give you the wrong seal kit when you order them, but you do often see these calipers on Ebay. :waving:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.