Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently inherited a GL1100 Goldwing 1981. Seems to run ok, but I have noticed that after using the front brake, it will not disengage. The calipers stay locked against the rotors. If I tap them lightly with a hammer on the outside, they release and the wheel moves freely. I am wondering if sitting for a couple of years can cause the pistons to be gummed up inside? And if so can I take them apart and clean them up or is better left to professionals?



Thanks
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

colferret wrote:
I recently inherited a GL1100 Goldwing 1981. Seems to run ok, but I have noticed that after using the front brake, it will not disengage. The calipers stay locked against the rotors. If I tap them lightly with a hammer on the outside, they release and the wheel moves freely. I am wondering if sitting for a couple of years can cause the pistons to be gummed up inside? And if so can I take them apart and clean them up or is better left to professionals?



Thanks
:waving::waving:colferret, Welcome to the Best Goldwing on the Net!:waving::waving:

It sounds like your caliper pistons are indeed crudded up. It's an easy job to fix them. You need to pull the calipers from the bike, loosen the banjo bolt before pulling the two caliper bolts on each caliper. You can force the pistons out with compressed air after removing the pads, or you can remove the pads before removing the brake line and push them out with the brake lever and pedal, but this can be messy. Make sure you don't get fluid on the paint, it eats it. Once the calipers are off and the pistons removed, clean everything with brake cleaner and inspect the caliper bores. If they look okay replace the dust seal and piston seal in each cylinder, after soaking the new rubber parts in brake fluid which should be DOT4, wipe the cylinders with fluid, wipe the pistons with fluid and put things back together. Make sure the caliper bolts and bushing can slide back and forth freely.Once back on the bike the caliper itself should be free to wiggle sideways otherwise the pads will wear very unevenly and may drag on the rotor.

Bleeding out the brakes should finish the job. When bleeding the rear brake remember the front left caliper is also hooked to the pedal master cylinder. Bleed the front one first since it's the farthest away from the master. Shouldn't take more than an afternoon to do the job the first time.

BTW Please update your profile with your location, there are members from all over the known world on the forum and it helps if we know where you're located. Also our TOP POSTER EMERITUS won't get cranky if you do!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you for your help. DOT 4 brakre fluid. Got it. Will do it today and let you know how it comes out. Again my thanks.



Deane
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

colferret wrote:
Thank you for your help. DOT 4 brakre fluid. Got it. Will do it today and let you know how it comes out. Again my thanks.
Deane
One other thing Deane, I was unable to find DOT4 brake fluid at three auto parts stores. The Honda dealer did have it. Don't know if the newer stuff that says DOT3/4 or DOT5 is really compatible but since I was able to find DOT4 didn't have to find out. A really worthwhile investment would be the Clymer manual for your bike, lots of places including Amazon sell them.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey colferret :waving:Welcome to the forum and we all hope you enjoy the banter.

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey colferret :waving:Welcome to the forum and we all hope you enjoy the banter.
What Banter?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just a quick update. It took 3 hours to get the pistons out. "Crudded up" is a polite term for the pistons. However, never say die...The job is finished. I was able to find DOT 4 brake fluid without any problem at the near by Schucks Auto Parts Store. Again much thanks. I will of course from time to time be checking in with problems as I get this beast ready for the road. I will even scare up a picture or two.



Deane
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

colferret wrote:
Just a quick update. It took 3 hours to get the pistons out. "Crudded up" is a polite term for the pistons. However, never say die...The job is finished. I was able to find DOT 4 brake fluid without any problem at the near by Schucks Auto Parts Store. Again much thanks. I will of course from time to time be checking in with problems as I get this beast ready for the road. I will even scare up a picture or two.
Deane
Glad to hear it went well. I'm surprised you found the DOT4 so easily, I went to to two Schucks, Pep Boys and Autozone and didn't find any DOT4.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top