Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

on a return trip one night around 10 pm, I rounded a corner on a state hi-way, and was met by a mound of sand, needless to say down we went, surprizingly the only thing broken was the right side rear view mirror, I guess the sand saved it, however now when I travel on the interstate the front end just bounces like a cork in a rough sea, changed the fork oil and check for signs of abnormal wear, looked ok, today sitting back looking at the front end while the bike is on the drive off stand it looks like the front wheel is tilted to the left, could the frame have gotten bent, and can it be repaired or should I look for a new frame ???
1983 Goldwing 1100 interstate:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I suppose it is possible the frame got bruised... but I would put my money (coffee :smiler:) on the triple tree and fork tubes getting twisted a bit. They stay aligned by properly torqued bolts & nuts and friction only. There are no pins or keys, etc., that I am aware of.

The process for checking sprung forks should begin with getting the wheels in alignment, then if the handlebars seem to visually be turned, you can bet the frontend needs attention.

One way to get a quick clue, would be to straddle the bike, clamp the front brake tight, and push on the handlebars. The forks should compress fairly easily; then stop pushing but hold the brake, and notice if the forks rebound freely and return to the free standing position from whence you started.

Welcome to a GREAT Forum, by the way!!! :congrats:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. This thread should be in the Technical forum. One of the moderators might move it there for you soon.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

eh is the fork air psi ok mine does bounce from time to time like your describing just check the front tire for damage other than that check the air pressure in the forks themselves,

drive on a diffrent road and see what happens

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
imported post

Welcome from another okc rider.
Very possible you bent the forks or the frame. If the bike bounces like you state and the wheel looks tilted I would bet on the forks.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

tried what you suggested, compresses ok, rebounds then there is a small bounce

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I would check to see if any of your weights fell off the can cause a bonce or shutter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.