Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I don't hold on with at least one hand on my 1980 GL1100 thehandle barswant to swing wildly back back and forth. I control it so that it does not crash, but I need to find and correct the problem. My guesses suggest front tire, bent front wheel, wheel bearings, fork bearings. The tire does not look bad - some wear, but not uneven. I spin the wheel and get very little side to side movement. So... Anyone got a guess.

I have had the bike for about a year now and put about 10K of the 28K miles on the bike. Some people don't ride much.

·
Administrator
26,198 Posts
imported post

The rear tire can also cause the wobble so check it too. Also check the steering head bearings and wheel bearings for looseness.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I have had the wobble a couple times (thousands ofmiles apart). One time it was the front wheeland the back wheel the next time. I was shocked that the back tire could cause it, but this wonderful forum suggested getting it rebalanced if the front tire was fine. I re-balance the back tire and I love riding with no hands for many miles. It seems like the gL1100 can go out of balance easy at times. Oh well. :baffled:

You can double check the front steering for unevenness by lifting the front off the ground and rolling the bars back and forth to feel for a grinding or bump feeling. If there is one dead center, don't worry as much as slightly off center or in multiple spots. The other test is to pull and push the bottom of the forks, possibly just holding the wheel. This should be stern. No movement. If there is, then you need to tighten or replace the bearings.

All the best -

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

I ran into this a while back, and surprisingly, it was my head bearing that was causing the problem. Took it to the local dealer who had the special tool to tighting the retaining nut and it took away the shimmy. It was really bad at slow speed. Everything was great after the fix.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I've been fighting the same shimmy which got much worse as the front tire wore flatter in the middle, I do mostly long highway rideing.
After replacing it with a E3 and spin balance shimmy is completely gone, what a pleasure it is to ride now.

I wish I knew what the exact cause was whether balance or the old tire worn flat. I do know the old Pirelli wasnt cheap and it was bubble balanced.
My assumption so far is out of balance was the cause, nothing but computer spin balance for me ever again.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I would verify steereing head torque. That seems to be a critical weak area on the older bikes. I think in the Misc forum there was a new tool for head torque added to the Loaner program.

A simple method for checking is to put it on center and get the front wheel off the ground place the handle bars off center and under their own weight they should slowly sweepback to the stops. It should not build enough speed to bounce off the stop. If it does then it is way too loose and WILL cauase a wobble.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I liked the old steering damper you could tighten..down or loosen up depending on the type of driving you were doing..oh well another good idea gone.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
I would verify steereing head torque.  That seems to be a critical weak area on the older bikes.  I think in the Misc forum there was a new tool for head torque added to the Loaner program. 

A simple method for checking is to put it on center and get the front wheel off the ground place the handle bars off center and under their own weight they should slowly sweep back to the stops. It should not build enough speed to bounce off the stop.  If it does then it is way too loose and WILL cauase a wobble.   
This agrees with my experience. I've never used a gauged tool although that would be a good idea. I just tighten it every so often (punch and hammer) whenever I notice the shakes starting to appear.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Three most common causes of Goldwing wobble especially around 35mph are, tires, head bearing condition and head bearing tension. This is assuming that your forks are in good condition without worn bushings and your front wheel and bearings are okay.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with exdavid. I had another wheel and tire on my parts bike, and I put it on. I rode it all over town, and after about 12 miles, I was going around a normal highway curve in front of Emma Sansom High School, to the left, and I leaned over a little, and I started feeling some front end vibration. It only lasted about 3 seconds, but it was enough to scare the hell out of me. I went straight home, and put the old one back on. Works well.
Good Luck,
nightrider1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.