Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again guys.... I have just noticed that the left side front shock is leaking oil from the rubber at the top of the outer tube. Will need to change the seal... Question 1. Should I do both at the same time... Question 2. How do I go about replacing the seals. I have a GL 1100 1981 Interstate do I have to remove the fairing to do it??... Question 3. Is there a do it yourself write up some where that I can follow.... Question 4. What is the past number for the seal and is there anything else that needs to be replaced while doing the seals.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Yes there how to's on this on several sites..NGW, Goldwing\docs, You should do both sides and replace the bushings while your are in there. You can do by taking the forks off the bike or you can lave them on and just pull the lowers off. fairing not involved.

here's one http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11831

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
First... A repair manual is your number one tool.
Rebuild both forks, seals, dust caps, bushings, any other out of shape washers and parts you will find once opened up.
Look in the reference and facts section of the forum pages for possible threads, the how to lists, use the forum search tool, and check Goldwingdocs.com site for the how to section for a more by bike listings of articles.

For part numbers and good prices
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1981&fveh=132950

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Before you replace it try cleaning the seal.
Lift up the outer dust cover and place a very thin piece of plastic down the fork tube past the inner seal and work around the tube with a gentle sawing up/down motion. Do this a few of times, and sit on the bike to bounce or compress the front end between each cleaning. Wipe tube with a clean cloth each time and check for leaks after bouncing.

This often removes any dirt or junk that is keeping the seal from closing around the tube properly and creating a small leak.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
My 2 cents

I do only the one that is leaking. I do it without removing the fairing or taking the tube off the bike. I ALWAYS drain the other fork so that both will have the same fluid in them. Fill the one you put the seal in first and then fill the other to the same level. Aftermarket seals are as good as OEM. Never buy aftermarkets that claim to be leak proof. As RB says put in new bushings unless your are sure the current one have less than 50K and aren't the originals.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
You can make a "Sealmate" out of coke can, plastic milk bottle or 1 quart coke bottle, some use old film negatives too. Teh key is the littel scoup at teh end you stick in..must have enough curve to hold the grit and pull it out.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GL 1100 Leaking front fork seak

Thanks for all the info on cleaning the seal, it works as there is no more oil on the tube......

One more question : I now need to replace the oil, what is the best way to do this. Can I do it by taking the air hose connections off both shock at the top and insert a thin tube into the hole to refill ??? Would really appresiate some actual do it yourself info on replacing the oil........Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Yep you can do that..BUT you don't know how much to replace..better to drain all the all and put new in..to spec. which you can do by removing the valves..but taking the caps off isn't much harder and easier to get an accurate fill.

Let the air out, open the drains collect the oil, bounce the forks a bit to get more oil out, drain plugs back in then some add a little new ATF or solvent and drain again to help clear out old crap, then measure and put in new oil ATF TO 15 WT depending on the ride you want. The amount depends on your years and type of springs you have..OEm or Progressive???

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the info... Not sure what springs are in, it's a 1981 GL 1100 Interstate and as far as I know and can see it's never been opened before...... What would you recommend for amount of oil to go in and the type of oil. I do travel on very bad road surfaces, rought and potholed.... Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
The service manual says to drain and refill the forks with 220 cc of ATF.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info..... Looks like I will need to replace the seal as its still leaking a bit.... I want to do it with out taking the shock off the bike can some please let me have a how to do article on doing it on the bike.... I have read it somewhere but cant find it now..........

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
temporary fix

I had a leaking fork seal, so I changed the fluid and put in a half and half mix of power steering fluid sealer and tranny fluid. It worked no more leaking. Good luck.

Dean

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Thanks, but what is power steering sealer and tranny fluid. Have not come across it in South Africa or it is under a different name....
Just use 10 wt or 15 wt fork oil.
Tranny fluid is automatic transmission fluid.(@ 7 1/2 wt compared to fork oil weights)
Power steering sealer is an aftermarket product

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
info

First... A repair manual is your number one tool.
Rebuild both forks, seals, dust caps, bushings, any other out of shape washers and parts you will find once opened up.
Look in the reference and facts section of the forum pages for possible threads, the how to lists, use the forum search tool, and check Goldwingdocs.com site for the how to section for a more by bike listings of articles.

For part numbers and good prices
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1981&fveh=132950
I rebuilt several and due to the age i would only fix the one that has problems , but it is up to you i always say if it isent broke dont fix it , it seems on most of the repairs on the older bikes you almost always brake something else remember it is 30 years old !!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good advice, "If it ant broken dont fix it"............

Can someone please give me a link to an article that gives a full step by step on how to replace seals without removing the shock from the bike, have seen it somewhere but cant find it now that I'm looking for it......... Thanks guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.