Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm in the middle of doing my front wheel bearings. I've got everything apart to the point where the right bearing is exposed and ready to come out. The left side, however, I'm not sure. The as-always-unhelpful Honda service manual says "remove dust cover and retainer."

How? Here's what I'm looking at. The metal piece with the tabs is more or less floating in there, held in place with two tabs that go under the rubber dust seal.

So how does this all come out in order to get to the bearing?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Looking at the picture...I'm thinking you have to get that seal out first. Hopefully a new one comes with the bearings.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

take a screwdriver I use my big one and carefully pry the small narrow seal up and off and then the speedo drives will come out.

Pry between the top of the drive and the bottom of theseal so you don't bend the drives.

Actually I just put the screwdriver where I want it and hit the handle in a down motion. and the seal pops off.

Just did it this morning,

JB

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I agree with JBz, thats how I got my dust seat out when I had to replace the speedo drive after the dog ears bit the dust. Wasn't hard and didn't cause any damage to the seal

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

im getting ready to do this next week when i get home have everything else done but the bearings but cant find much in clymers manual about bearing removal or the repacking how much harder is the rear compared to the front??

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

wolfmann wrote:
im getting ready to do this next week when i get home have everything else done but the bearings but cant find much in clymers manual about bearing removal or the repacking how much harder is the rear compared to the front??
New bearings are sealed and don't have to be repacked or greased. The rear is a bit more difficult simply because there's more stuff to remove in order to get the wheel off. But once the wheels are off, they're both about the same to do.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

on the D I Y guides on the docs page it says to torque axle bolt 60 will that help or is that too much

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Steve

Nice rotas.

What are they. I still have standard ones.

Very pretty if you can say that about rotas!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I found this thread looking for info on how to remove the bearings for service while I am waiting for parts for my 86 Interstate. Am I understanding from GS MacLean's post there is no need/way to grease the bearings? My wheel feels great but the bikes history is not known and I have found a few suprises (90 wt fork oil was kinda cool). I was only going into the wheel deeper due to the unknown prior maintainance. I am replacing the fork seals, dust covers and slider bushings as well as rebuilding the stuck calipers and lots of cleaning. Anything else that I should give some loving while I am in there? Any service needed for the TRAC system? Thanks, Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.