1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi All and greetings from across the pond

I have a strange problem

If I leave the bike for a couple of days with a reasonably full tank and the petcock on the fuel filter fills up nicely (I have had no problems with the fuel getting into the cylinders so the floats seem to be sealing well) and I take the bike for a short run (15-20 miles) when I return the fuel filter is empty but the bike is still running reasonably well (I have a vibration that feels like the engine but it could be something other than this problem as I know it needs the mixtures setting and a resync).

It just appears that the pump takes out more fuel than can get back in

I have tried:
putting wire down pipes into tank
blasting air into tank
running with cap loose
replacing filter and pipes
checking the flow with a full tank
changing pump from my spare engine
randakks service kit in petcock

all to no avail and I am running out of ideas

it just looks as if it is pulling air in with the fuel from the tank but for the life of me I can't work out where, so I throw it open to the many great minds on here to see if they can solve one of lifes great mysteries

many thanks for any ideas (but please not seafoam as we cannot get it here)

regards Rob

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

maybe your fuel pump is bad and just gravity feeding. take loose at fuel pump and turn over and see if its pumping

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I have tried a replacement pump which exhibits the same problem, surely they couldnt both have the same fault, could they?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

is it pumping fuel with the line loose, when you turn it over? and yes they can both be bad. not saying they are but could

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

When looking to solve the same problem tried feeding gas from an alternate jug of gas. This eliminated the gas tank as the problem. Then I took the fuel pump apart and found a little spring jobbie with plastic attached that was broken. replaced from spare pump and back on the road with FULL filter. Just one idea. :()

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

If it was my bike, I'd pull the pump out of the tank and inspect the area between the pump and tube. There could be a pinhole leak allowing in air and draining the filter. I had this happen to me on a SUV I owned. Same symptoms.

Tom Mc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.