Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding along and the tank is low. The engine splutters. I switch to reserve. We splutter some more. The engine dies.
I'm sitting on the side of the road wondering if I had already been on reserve and now have an empty tank. Check for gas and there is some still in there - deep in there.
I am fairly confident that with the petcock tab point up, that I am on reserve. Second guessing myself. Press the starter. Doesn't fire. Wait, try again. Same result. Wait a while longer. Try again. Battery is getting tired. I'm getting worried. Wait a while longer. Try again. She fires! I make it to the nearest gas station and fill up.
Today, I had the same scenario. This time, I was close to home so that when she fired up, I made a dash for home to check things out.
I turned the fuel off and removed the line from the petcock. Turned it to 'ON' and nothing came out. Turned it to 'RES' and still nothing came out. (Gas cap off the tank) Added a couple of litres to the tank. Same result.
connected a tube to the petcock and blew into it. I hear air blowing into the gas tank when in the 'ON' position. I hear bubbles when I switch to the 'RES' position. I put on a longer tube and sucked, and sure enough, I was able to suck gas through the petcock.
I would have though that gas should flow by gravity when there is gas in the tank and I switch to reserve.
Does anyone know if this is normal?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The petcock is part way up the tank, anything above will gravity flow through the petcock in either the on or reserve position, anything below which is is your reserve won't and must be pumped.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken. That makes sense. I guess the remedy is first of all to fuel up before I get to reserve, and secondly to switch over to reserve at the first splutter to avoid getting air into the fuel line and having to re-prime the pump. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
22,297 Posts
I believe it's a simple system. Just two pipes, with the reserve going deeper into the tank. Seems like that pipe must be plugging up. Perhaps it's time to clean out the bottom of the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dennis, I think Ken hit it pointing out that the petcock is above the gas level when it at the reserve level.
I probably spent too long wondering if I should switch to reserve or not. That resulted in air getting into the fuel lines and empty carbs. I then had to turn the motor enough to re-prime the pump and fuel lines after I had switched to reserve. BTW, the tank is clean. I have had it out and thoroughly cleaned it.
Thanks, MWN

·
Administrator
22,297 Posts
Dennis, I think Ken hit it pointing out that the petcock is above the gas level when it at the reserve level.
I probably spent too long wondering if I should switch to reserve or not. That resulted in air getting into the fuel lines and empty carbs. I then had to turn the motor enough to re-prime the pump and fuel lines after I had switched to reserve. BTW, the tank is clean. I have had it out and thoroughly cleaned it.
Thanks, MWN
The system doesn't work that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.