Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are replacing the fuel petcock is it neccesary to drain the fuel tank.It looks like a straight forward job to me.A couple of screws and a fuel line and it will come off.The manual I have says to drain the fuel tank.It seems high enough that there would be very little gas that would leak out.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
What kind of bike?

If it's a 1500, then 'No' you don't have to drain the tank.... a small amount of fuel will leak, but no big deal.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As long as the fuel level in the tank is below the petcock it can be removed with minimal fuel leakage.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If the fuel is below the level of the petcock, no fuel will come out. If the fule is higher than the petcock, drain some out or go for a long ride to get the fuel level down.

·
Administrator
27,900 Posts
If it is too full and you don't have an easy way to drain it out or ride it out just lay the bike over on the right crash guards and change the petcock. Find the video on how to pick it up if you don't already know.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel Tap

Changed it out.Fuel was low enough.Thanks for the help.It seems like I can smell gas in my oil that I changed recently.I had a small gas leak below #3 carb but it stopped when I turned the old tap to off position.Still started easy and ran & idled fine.I hope it is not the needle & seat in the carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.