Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I noticed this happening 2 rides ago. This morning it was working normally then, nothing. Any ideas what might be causing this? It was 28 degrees when I left could it be related to the cold?.Everything else is working ok.,

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

Probably the 7 volt regulator in the panel.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Had this happen on my 1200.Finally traced it to a ground wire that emerged from the main wiring harness just below the instrumentpanel.At this point it had 2or 3 ground wires soldered to it which connected to the instruments.The connection came apart and hence an open circuit.A little solder fixed everything.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

When I get the time I'll break out the manual, pull the dash assembly off and give it a look. Hopefully it's a bad ground connection. Like I said it has happened before, but then started working again. It bothers me when my bikes don't behave, but being it's almost 30 years old, I have to give it a pass and hope it's east to fix.,,

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dave... no 7 volts to the gage..

the gas gage and temperature sensor are grounded through their respective sensors.. the only thing common to both is the 7 volt power supply.

won't be a grounding problem (unless it is the actual ground to the power supply, but then it could be the 12 volt power to that 7 volt regulator as well)..

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yep-- time to check all the connections. some thing loose some where.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
When I get the time I'll break out the manual, pull the dash assembly off and give it a look. Hopefully it's a bad ground connection. Like I said it has happened before, but then started working again. It bothers me when my bikes don't behave, but being it's almost 30 years old, I have to give it a pass and hope it's east to fix.,,
When the 7 volt regulators start to die, they will very often start to do so intermittently: you get no indication on BOTH fuel and temp gauges, then mysteriously it comes back to life again. This will go on for a while, until it just fails entirely. At this point you get one of two failure modes: it just dies and you get no indication at all, or worse, it fails shorted, and feeds 14+ volts unregulated directly into your gauges. If this happens, both gauges will go to full-scale deflection (all the way to the right), and the gauges themselves will eventually fail.

Have a look here: 7 volt regulators. You don't have to pull the whole dash apart on the 1100, just four screws on the back of the center pod to access the regulator. It can be done in half an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Great timing; I just read this yesterday, and this morning, for the first time, both of my gauges dropped to no reading briefly, then began to operate again. I would have had no idea that this was anything other than a 'glitch' had this not been posted. Another case of the board helping me out! :thumbsup:

I'll be ordering from that link you posted GSMacLean, thanks!

Now, is there a how-to for replacing it?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

HyperPete wrote:
...I'll be ordering from that link you posted GSMacLean, thanks!

Now, is there a how-to for replacing it?
You should know that was his own link.. he makes them and sells them.. Probably has a "how to" at his site too..

If you prefer you can make your own for a few bucks.... search for 7 volt regulator.. also, replacing it is easy enough after you get there, but it is buried ... and attached with two screw that sometimes resist removal.. In my case, I made my own (without a heat sink) about the size of a stick of gum.. left the old one in place... reconnected the new wires.. been working now for 5 years no issues...

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I made one for myself when mine failed years ago. I mentioned it online, and had a couple people ask if I could make one for them as well. They told two friends, and they told two friends, and so on...

So every few months I'll spend a few evenings and build another batch of them. They all have the same internals, but they have different connectors on the ends, to fit the various types of Goldwings that have them.

There's pretty detailed instructions that I send along with them as well.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I replaced the 7-Volt regulator on mine 1/2 way through this past season (TEMP never worked since I bought the bike, and FUEL quit about 2 months into riding).

I may have waited too long to replace it because neither gauge came back to life after I did. Would it be a safe assumption that I fried both gauges? Should I try replacing the sending units before replacing the gauges? Is there a way I can test them???

I've actually gotten used to knowing when to fill up and I don't THINK that I've ever had a temperature issue, but it'd be nice to have everything working as it should.....

All advice welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
It would be better if it was to the west or north by northwest to fix rather than east to fix!

Yeah, sounds like a loose wire somewhere. Let us know what you found.:15white:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Following on the above I have an 83 GL1100L without the fairings. Had to replace a bulb for the neutral warning light. Got it all back together again and noticed there was no reading on the gas and temp gauges. I am getting a voltage reading of just over 7Volts between the supply from the regulator and ground so that seems fine and I am getting readings for the inputs to the gauges also.

Changed the 7Volt Regulator for a spare one I had lying around and nothing has changed.

I am wondering if I have accidentally fried the gauges inadvertently or whether I have broken an earth connection when changing the bulb. If this is the case where will I find this earth wire because I can't see for the life of me where it could be.

Also is there a way I can check to see if the gauges have burnt out before I try to find some replacement gauges? Used items are a little bit scarce over this side of the pond.

Thanks,

Roger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.