Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:gunhead:Hi I bought an engine for my 83 gl1100. it was sent without timing covers or valve covers. I do have the set off the original engine but the gaskets ain't looking that great.

Honda wants11832-371-010 GASKET, L. FR. COVER $45 and

11831-371-000 GASKETR. FR. Cover $35

RUBBER, MOUNTING
90541-371-000

---
$3.52

And Valve cover

GASKET, HEAD COVER
12328-371-000

---
$15.38

RUBBER, MOUNTING
90541-371-000

---
$3.52
this can get expensive quick

I recconded It may be cheaper to buy a complete gasket set rather that individually
Are there any after market gaskets, the Brits call them Patten gaskets, that you guys prefer or reccommend? Athena comes to mind and runs about 139-169 so if you have some good Ideas I would love to hear them, please.

Aftertaking outthe original engine i realized this was not mentioned very often

clean your oil sump screen.

I was unaware there was such a thing and when I pulled the engine out here is what i found hiding in it.

the red stuff is silicone sealer someone with crazy with, bits of metal and some unidentifiable hard gray matter clutch maybe. I suspect it had never been cleaned.

It only takes about 20 minutes at the most keep it clean it is one of the main arteries of the oil the lifes blood of your engine.

Who knows this 83 gl1100 might have been the only dirty one around for your sake i hope so cause it was almost clogged up all the way.:gunhead:

Guys thanks for your help you are the best.

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
imported post

You did the right thing to check the screen before you installed the engine. Once in the frame it's not so easy to access it. The frame rail is in the way and it becomes a 'I'm not having any fun' day.

That is some pretty serious orange goop. VERY WRONG!!! I'd be a good idea to flush out the sump…. maybe pull the front 'transmission cover' and do a visual check on the front oil pump. All the silicone that's pictured around the sump screen… was that caught by the screen? Was there any silicone below the screen? The other debris on the screen… is any of it magnetic? That much debris is scary.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

When I did my head gaskets and was researching gaskets, most recommended OEM from mother honda. I agree with this totally. But quite a few members suggested Vesrah gasket kits. They said that if you could not get OEM that this brand of gasket gave good results. Not wanting to have problems later on, I was hesitant to use anything other them OEM. At the time I was having great difficulty finding all the o rings and gaskets that I needed that were OEM. I decided to take a chance on Vesrah and ordered a top end kit through amazon. After 15000 miles on bike since I did the head gaskets, I have not had a problem as of yet. The choice is yours and I would probably go OEM if at all possible but so far I have nothing bad to say about the Vesrah gaskets. My two cents.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

justayooper wrote:
When I did my head gaskets and was researching gaskets, most recommended OEM from mother honda. I agree with this totally. But quite a few members suggested Vesrah gasket kits. They said that if you could not get OEM that this brand of gasket gave good results. Not wanting to have problems later on, I was hesitant to use anything other them OEM. At the time I was having great difficulty finding all the o rings and gaskets that I needed that were OEM. I decided to take a chance on Vesrah and ordered a top end kit through amazon. After 15000 miles on bike since I did the head gaskets, I have not had a problem as of yet. The choice is yours and I would probably go OEM if at all possible but so far I have nothing bad to say about the Vesrah gaskets. My two cents.
Thanks I need at least 2 cents worth of advice. that was informative.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

rayworx wrote:
You did the right thing to check the screen before you installed the engine. Once in the frame it's not so easy to access it. The frame rail is in the way and it becomes a 'I'm not having any fun' day.

That is some pretty serious orange goop. VERY WRONG!!! I'd be a good idea to flush out the sump…. maybe pull the front 'transmission cover' and do a visual check on the front oil pump. All the silicone that's pictured around the sump screen… was that caught by the screen? Was there any silicone below the screen? The other debris on the screen… is any of it magnetic? That much debris is scary.
The screen you were looking at is off my original engine. the new one is clean as a pin. In 09 I paidtoo much get it rolling I suspect it was just more of there there crappy work. I will check the rest of what you indicated I think I will invest in some parts split the case put in new mains, rods,piston rings, and build it back.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

lanzo29 wrote:
rayworx wrote:

The screen you were looking at is off my original engine. the new one is clean as a pin. In 09 I paid too much get it  rolling I suspect it was just more of there there crappy work. I will check the rest of what you indicated I think I will invest in some parts split the case put in new mains, rods,piston rings, and build it back.
Yes there was some debris in there and some metal. I guess I don't feel so bad about transplanting the engine cost and all. The vendor for the 80 gl1100 says it ran and shifted well. So far it appears clean. as I await gaskets before setting it in.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

lanzo29 wrote:
lanzo29 wrote:
rayworx wrote:

The screen you were looking at is off my original engine. the new one is clean as a pin. In 09 I paidtoo much get it rolling I suspect it was just more of there there crappy work. I will check the rest of what you indicated I think I will invest in some parts split the case put in new mains, rods,piston rings, and build it back.
Yes there was some debris in there and some metal. I guess I don't feel so bad about transplanting the engine cost and all. The vendor for the 80 gl1100 says it ran and shifted well. So far it appears clean. as I await gaskets before setting it in.
Forget about old motor you will fing things like rings, rod, and main bearings no longer made unless you have someone that can make them for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.