Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I appear to have developed an oil leak onto my left boot (thought it was the rocker cover seal so replaced them) but i now think it is the seal around the gear shift lever

Are they easy to get and can it be replaced without a major stripdown and how do you do it??

Many thanks

Rob

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Are you sure its oil & not the shifter rubber leaving its mark on your boot?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

On the 1200 & 1500 (haven't done an 1100) it's an easy fix, sometimes easier by dropping the L Exhaust. Remove the lever, pick out the seal, put some tape over the splined shaft, replace the seal remove tape, replace lever, exhaust & ride. :waving:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,628 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
On the 1200 & 1500 (haven't done an 1100) it's an easy fix, sometimes easier by dropping the L Exhaust. Remove the lever, pick out the seal, put some tape over the splined shaft, replace the seal remove tape, replace lever, exhaust & ride. :waving:
A little bit of hard grease on the tape and seal lets it slide up and over real easy.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

The same thing happened to me and I just used a long screwdriver and tapped the seal back ino place ,never leaked sinceand its been a couple of years now,they sometimes work loose , check it out , Dupe.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

Dupe wrote:
The same thing happened to me and I just used a long screwdriver and tapped the seal back ino place ,never leaked sinceand its been a couple of years now,they sometimes work loose , check it out , Dupe.
I don,t know about the screwdriver. A deep socket would be my choice of tools. But Dupe's suggestion would surely be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

Buy a gear shift shaft seal, remove with a small hook, relplace new seal by using deep socket, coat outside of new seal with red locktite prior to installation.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

Also check the water pump weep hole and starter o-ring. You sound a little unsure of the source yet. The wind can blow it around quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks for all that I will try and narrow down the source but I am fairly sure it has to be the shifter as it sometimes burns a couple of drops of oil from the exhaust just below the shifter on first starting up

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

will also try and source one locally seeing as it fits lots of bikes rather than having one shipped across the atlantic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.