Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

ok so first off hi. :)
ive got a 83 gl1100 aspencade with everything but a title and a 76 gl1000 with full vetter bags, trunk, and windjammer with a title.
im not sure which to keep, what to sale etc. i find the gl1100 more comfy and i like the wheels. but the 76 has that sweet faux tank with the fuel gauge in it.
im thinking all keep all the fairings and mash the two bikes together, ive heard the gl1000 cams really wake up the 1100 and the tire options are better for the 83 as well.

if given the choice what parts would you use, what parts would you ebay, and why?
obviously id like to use the frame from the 76 since it has the title.
any help would be great. thanks

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

also i own a Dremel, a welder, and large assortment of hammers. im not afraid to use them. just fyi

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Either just fix up the GL1000 to sell or ride, or find a frame with a title for the GL1100.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

which is the better bike? (i havent rode either one, one needs headgasket, the other needs brakes) pros cons?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

If you're riding is more in town, the 76 is more nimble. The 1100 is longer and geared more for the highway, better gas mileage. A lot of people opt for the lower seat height of the 1100. If you want to move quicker, put the 1100 into the 76 frame, then swap the 76 heads. I haven't done it, but guys who have say it's much faster. The 1100 has a lower first gear, and the 1000 had a significantly lower geared rear end. It's not quite a bolt in. Need to modify crossmember under the tank for the 1100 ignition to fit.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

You could also put the complete 83 front on with bigger forks, better brakes, and trac drive. That's close to a bolt on.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

ekvh wrote:
If you're riding is more in town, the 76 is more nimble. The 1100 is longer and geared more for the highway, better gas mileage. A lot of people opt for the lower seat height of the 1100. If you want to move quicker, put the 1100 into the 76 frame, then swap the 76 heads. I haven't done it, but guys who have say it's much faster. The 1100 has a lower first gear, and the 1000 had a significantly lower geared rear end. It's not quite a bolt in. Need to modify crossmember under the tank for the 1100 ignition to fit.
Exactly, which is why eventually you will most likely want both.

Well, since you are asking AND doing all the work, this is what I'd like to see tuned up one day in theory;
76 done up with:
1100 exhaust (which I have, bolts right on if it's the right year, HM463 is stamped on the top of the pipes, need to cut and cap the crossover)
1100 cams placed into the 76 heads which are somewhere between the 75 and 78 cams in intake cam lobe heights, duration, etc. but add 11 thou to the intake valve lift.
1100 comforts which can be swapped out in an hour say; just to make highway driving more comfy and haul more gear.
Let's see it! Fire up that dremel and hammer away!
:action:
Wow man, I wish I had your problems. Which bike to build between a GL1000 and GL 1100?
Nice.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

The 1000s have a bigger diameter intake valve which probably gives a bit more hp at wot. The stock 1100cams and valves probably have better low rpm performance. I have an 83 which is a project for down the road, but the three times I rode it, it seemed to be pretty well set up stock. With the 1000 rear end, it should be even better for off the line performance.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forums. :waving:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

thanks for the advice and the welcoming! ill post back with pics when i do whatever it is i do lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.