Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all, I am hoping someone can help me with this problem I have.
When I put on my spark tester the spark only lasts around 3 seconds then no more spark, I turn the key off and try again the same thing will happen, I have bypassed the ingintion switch and kill switch and still the same thing, this is all 4 cyl,any ideas to help me out would be great.

1981 GL1100 Goldwing interstate

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

If it's happening on all 4 cylinders at the same time then it isn't pulse coils. Worst case will be the ignition box/amplifier. Could also be a simple connection somewhere, kill switch, ignition...
You will have to do a step by step check.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

So far I have bypassed the kill switch and the ignition switch, and looked at most of the grounds, I am not winning this battle?

thanks

Phil

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Jason has a point. There's not much in parts to check. You have power or nothing would happen. It sounds more like theignition box/amplifier. See if a local dealer or auto shop can check those parts for you. (I know they cost big bucks to replace.) If all else fails and you can wait, check fleabay.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Claywake, try getting the spark from the plug wire(remove the plug boot)before it goes thru the resistor and let us know what happens. Sometimes the current flow thru the spark plug resistor can be severly impeded by a failing/aging resistor.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
imported post

Claywake

Check your main in line fuse. It can arc giving you intermittent readings. I now use fine gage speaker wire because I got tired of them damn fuse strips. The fine speaker wire works because I tested to see if it would blow.

Kyle

A woman drove me to drink.....and I didn't even thank her!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Well I put on new boots in the summer, so thinking something could be wrong I tryed the old ones and still the same.

Also I replaced the starter solinoid which has newer style of fuse the plug in type,

still the same on the spark, today I tryed the old solinoid with the old type of fuse and the same , will spark for 2 or 3 seconds then quits.

A friend of mine says I can try his coils out just to see if they are at fault his is a 1983 Wing mine is 1981 ??

Also I replaced the plug wires too.

thanks all

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

there should be no problems doing the swap

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The coils are the same for all GL1100 model years so no problems. Whats the chances of both shutting down at the same time though?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

The chances are not to likely. Claywake is eliminating possible problems and taking smart steps. I would rather him say "I know that part is OK" than "I think that part is OK".

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

In the system for Wing, we have twopulse coils, twospark devices, and two coils, is there any thing else in this system I might be missing?

My next day off is Tuesday, so I will beputting in the other coils then.

thanks all

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Well working on my bike late at nite, I noticed that the throttle cable was arcing to the top engine mount, I would think this might have something to do with my problem, now just how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

claywake wrote:
Well working on my bike late at nite, I noticed that the throttle cable was arcing to the top engine mount, I would think this might have something to do with my problem, now just how to fix it?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

claywake wrote:
Do you mean a spark is coming off the throtte cable and onto the mount? I wonder how that could happen? The coils HT leads don't pass anywhere near there do they?

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I guess you could run four throttle cables, one to each spark plug. LOL

Just kidding, I think you had better get a manual and sort things out or send us some pics of what you are dealing with as it sounds very strange.

Vic

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey "Kyle" that speaker wire is interesting, especially for an emergency! How much do you use and how did you test it?

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
imported post

About as light of a gage of speaker wireyou can get. Ends stripped, and long enough to reach the contact screws. How I came across this idea was, I needed a new lighter for the bike. I purchased the wrong one and in the middle of nowhere I pushed it in and my bike started running like crap, miss firing, bucking, all bad! I pulled over and part of the assessment was checking the fuse, and it was blown. I had a back up, bike fired up and off I went. Decided to have another smoke, punched in the lighter and it happened all over again. It clicked in as to what was causing the problem. Now I'm out of fuses but in my bag of tricks I had some speaker wire. Stripped it down to one lead, bared the ends, and installed it. Once again the bike fired up. My curiosity got the best of me and keeping my eye on the new installation, I puched in the lighter again, and low and behold, the speaker fire fizzled immediately. Threw away the lighter, installed another piece of speaker wire and away I went. Same speaker wire and it has been about 5 years now. The interesting part was, even with the blown fuse, there was enough arc to get the random firing.

I can't speak enough about keeping little odds and ends in a little bag tossed inside the fairing. There is about an acre of storage in there. Pop out the turn signal light and drop it in. Another occassion my ignition switch crapped out, total power shut down. Figured I was done, but a little time on my hands, I pulled out the ingition switch, created a wire harness and hot wired the bike. Had everything working, stero, signals, the whole deal. To shut it off, I pulled out the hot lead. I finished the last of my trip with this set up. Replaced the ignition, and guess what.....that wire harness I made, sits in that little bag in my fairing.

Kyle

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The coils are NOT the same for all GL1100 models. The '80 and '81 coils are the same, the '82 and '83 are the same. The '82-'83 coils are bigger. The '80-'81 coils have an ID molded into them that starts with an A, the '82-'83 starts with a B. Can't find my spare set or I'd get the exact number off them.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

I think your right, I notice too the no. being different, after market are not to bad priced but honda are nuts.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I have several sets of coils I bought, and one set from my parts bike. Pay for postage, and I'll send you a set of '81 coils to play with. They should be fine, I bought them so I could get the boots off the plug ends.

Raymond

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.