Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

Well, two months ago I saw the handlebar audio controller for the Clarion system on eBay and didn't need it. Now that I need it, I can't find one to save my life. So I think I'll resort to just making one.

I'm pretty good with electrical and electronics, so all I really need are the particulars for the unit. If anyone has it and knows how it works, can you fill me in?

- Do the controls just ground one wire or the other, or do they have a resistive network that controls the logic?

- If it's resistive, does anyone have an idea of the potentiometers' ranges?

- If it's not either, what is it? It can't be that tough.

Thanks guys!

Jack

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah, I know. But - since there are only two connectors with two leads each, it should be easy enough to put an ohmmeter on them and see if resistance changes when the levers are moved, or if they go to zero, etc.

Any takers? :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

I have an 83 Aspencade with the handlebar control. The radio has a mute button and a channel up button. The second control is for the CB and contols channel up or down and a talk switch.

Don't know if this will help.

Jerry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Hi guys,

- Do the controls just ground one wire or the other, or do they have a resistive network that controls the logic?

Jack
Jack, as far as I can remember the handle bar audio controls on my 1200 (Panasonic OEM) were all switches. Mute, tune up and down was about it. Pretty sure all the control logic was in the radio. Looks like the same deal on my 1500 too. I really think tuning switch is nothing but a single pole double throw and the mute a single pole single throw.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Yep, on my 83 I can only channel up, not down, so my tuning switch is single pole momentary on. The mute switch is single throw single pole. I don't think you'll have a bit of problem if you put the wrong switch in the circuit. All that would happen is your radio would cycle up continuously if you put the mute switch on the channel circuit and you put the switch on and your radio would only momentarily mute when you pushed the channel button.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just an update.... I got the fairing painted and on, and have tested the mystery pig-tails. All I did was short the pins together - one switches the audio to "mute", the other just scans up the dial ( a "seek" function). So, mystery solved!

Now I know that I don't have to wait for the actual GL radio controller, but can make my own. Heck, I've got all this leftover ABS to play with, and a Radio Shack right down the road! :)

Thanks for all the input.

Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.