Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever really had a timing belt fail?

Will the pistons hit the vavles in a GL1100?

If you had a failure, under what conditions?

At how many miles?

Just looking to expand my knowledge.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
My friend Dan said he had a belt go on his 83. Bent a couple valves. I think that shop replaced the head. He was on a trip. I have seen the results of a busted valve that put a hole in a piston.

If you have any doubt as to if/when the belts were changed, do change them just because of age. The 2 belts on line will costs @ $35-$40 for gates belts from Rock Auto Parts. That's cheap insurance and peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,913 Posts
Broke the left belt on my gl1000. Valve damage only on mine. Mileage isn't usually the problem. Age and or sitting are what cause the belts to go.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I had a cam belt break on my last 1500. A couple of bent valves, but no broken pistons. I was going about 30 M.P.H. when it happened. Rebuilt the head and drove it another 60,000 miles.

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Timing belts??...Would I change mine out or just leave them alone??..I bought an 82 Wing, got ripped off good on it, but that's another story...After I got it home, two members of this forum asked me if I had changed out the timing belts, one went so far as to tell me "If you don't change them belts before you rde it again, I'm coming to Texas whoop on your fanny"...I know he was kidding, but I went and bought timing belts from Carquest, about $30.00 bucks..Up on the center stand pulled everything as per the tutorials on this forum, installed those new belts, rolled the engine over by hand, it's good so far...But you talk about sweating HUGE Bullets, first time I hit the start swtich, there was this thing about a Flax seed and a huge hammer???...Well it cranked over great!!!...Then with the spark plugs in I'm almost afraid to hit that start button...Three cups of coffee later, I go out, hit the start button...IT"S ALIVE!!!!!..Started right up, no knocks pings or rattles!!!!

Now about 3 years ago I'm in this breakers shop,where my wife seen this beautiful black 82 Wing setting in there with a "For Sale" sign on it, she asked how much???...I had already seen that it only had less than 14,000 on the clock, but figured it's not to be..My wife and the owner talked, he gave my wife a great price on it, she bought it too...

Now that same day, on the rack next to my "new Wing", was an 83 Aspy, with everything Honda offered in 83???..It only had a tad over 4,000 miles on the clock, but the engine was out on the mechanics work bench, he was taking that 83 engine apart????.

It was sold in an estate sale, the owner bought it new from one of the Honda dealers, rode it for about 6 months, died with a major heart attack...Seems his new son in law, a Hardly rider kept that Wing running, serviced, and then the MIL decides to sell it...OK it was sold to a guy who did all of the things you do to one that has been setting up, looking at the timing belts, they looked new, so he didn't change them...On his first ride at 65mph, both belts broke?????....One then the other one???

Three out of four pistons had holes in them, might near every valve was either bent or broken???...The new owner didn't want this perfectly good 1100 engine that breaker had, he wanted THAT engine back in it????...Jim tried to explain the costs of spilting a Gold Wing engine, but that owner said "Rebuild my original engine"...

Back this past June my son and I were in that shop, I asked the mechanic about that Wing, he said that owner brings it in for service, every three months 100 or 3000 miles, and has those belts changed out every year????...A bit extreme to me, but hey its his Wing , his money....

Point of this long story????...If you don't want to change the timing belts, and something does happen, be sure you have a breaker living close by with a good used head...Then having to go through all of the time and bucks its going to cost, or just go on buy two new belts, install them, if for nothing else but piece of mind.....

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Broke one my 75,a sound you will NEVER forget.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I had one break on my 1000, luckily the bike was warming up in the garage so the only damage was two bent valves. As I recall, about 45K at the time.

·
Administrator
27,932 Posts
In 06 I think, I bought an 83 with 120,000 on it. Asked the owner who had owned it several years, second owner, about the timing belts. He said "they never gave me any trouble" . I hauled it home and didn't move it until I put new belts on it.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,913 Posts
Broke one my 75,a sound you will NEVER forget.
That's something mine didn't do. I was riding about 60mph and the left belt broke. (points side) It just quit. No sound, nothing. I didn't know it was a broken belt until after I had it towed home. And yes I inspected the belts and they "looked new". Famous last words. LOL

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Just for info, you can get a cross reference part number for a Japanese car timing belt that uses the same one as the Gold Wing. My 1200 uses an 83 Toyota Turcell belt for about $16 apiece.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I remember reading posts her from a couple of forum members who had belts break. One of them I'd a Gl1000.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
One of my belts gave up at an indicated 60k while doing 30mph going home from work. Valve went through the piston , snapped , took out the bore and con-rod. Head totally destroyed. I had to get another motor.
I only had the bike a couple of weeks at the time and the worse thing was I had ordered new belts and was waiting for them to come through the post.:sobbing::sick::crying:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I have never had a timing belt break on one of my Wings but a good friend and riding buddy had one break on his 75 GL1000. This was in about 78 so it was still fairly new and had maybe 30k-35k miles on it at the time. It had not been sitting around a lot either. He rode it regularly. It was on the right side and bent the valves but just scuffed up the pistons. We pulled the head and replaced the bent valves and all was well. Needless to say, he and I both have always kept the belts changed regularly since then.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Can someone please give me the Gates Belt Part Number for the 1981 GL1100. I live in sunny South Africa and hopefully the part numbers are the same, I think its time to put new belts on and to get OE part here costs a lot of money......

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Can someone please give me the Gates Belt Part Number for the 1981 GL1100. I live in sunny South Africa and hopefully the part numbers are the same, I think its time to put new belts on and to get OE part here costs a lot of money......
I sent u a pm

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I had both belts break on a '75 1000. It had sat outside for a while and water had flooded the belt cases after the drain holes plugged up with something. After the event I removed the covers, water poured out and the belts looked like spaghetti. Bent one or more valves per cylinder, cracked valve guides. This bike still sits in my garage with the heads off and oiled and duct taped cylinders. That happened many years before ebay. I've been looking for heads lately.

Scott

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Kinda funny seeing all you folks reporting broken belts. It wasn't that long ago on the forum that someone berated me for changing belts on 'Wings I was refurbishing and recommending that to be done on anyone's bike that the owner didn't know how long the belts had been in use. The kibitzer said the belts last a long time and more people damage their bikes changing belts incorrectly than ever had their bikes damaged by belt failure. I feel vindicated. Even though it took eight years or so.

·
Administrator
27,932 Posts
T274 in case you did not get jon jay's PM

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I got my Gates belts at Amazon, $10.00 each and free shipping. ;) Gates T070 for my '86 1200.

Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.