Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced both head gaskets on my '83 Interstate a couple of months ago and finally got a new battery so I could get it started. Starts up fine, but I have oil pouring out of the right side, right where the head bolts to the block.

What are the chances that I can take it apart and just re-tighten the head? Is there anything else I should be looking for? I really don't want to have to buy another set of head gaskets.

When I did the job I used a torque wrench and tightened everything to the specifications I got out of my Haynes manual, and, since this was the first time I'd tackled head gaskets on a bike, I really took my time and made sure to completely clean the surfaces.

The left side seems to be sealed properly, no leaking at all.

Incidentally, it was the RH head that was the problem before, but then it was just steam out of the tail pipe, not leaking oil at all.

Any and all ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Did you remember the 2 small O rings for the oil supply to the heads

·
everyday member
514 Posts
I would agree that you may have missed an o ring. If you cleaned both surfaces spotless and installed the right gasket, a missing or damaged o ring is probably the problem. If you have to pull the head to find the problem, you should be able to use the same head gasket. If you are worried about a proper seal, and I know this may bring on few negitive responses, apply a VERY THIN coat of gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket. Even though there is not a need to use a gasket sealant on head gaskets, as long as you don't over do it, it won't hurt. It will just make it more difficult to remove the head if there is a need to do so in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
nice 1100 justayooper, i miss my 1100

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton for the replies. Bassmaster, if you are referring to the two o-rings that go onto the oil control orifice, I think I remember putting them on, but that was a couple of months ago. I'll have to take it apart again to check. Would one of these o-rings missing or damaged cause the oil to leak out around the head gasket?

·
everyday member
514 Posts
You are not the first bassmasterb65 to tell me that. I run into lots of wingers with newer wings that wish they would have keep the old one too.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Yes if the O ring is missing or pinched oil will pour out,, dont ask me how i know that

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
This was some time ago and on a 1980 gl1100 standard but I remember a small bolt in addition to the head bolts in the head. You have put this back on!

As I remember it was a small 10mm bolt in the centre bottom. Pop off the cam cover and look at the bottom of the head.

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes it pays to pay a professional

Well Goldtop, you were the closest. I though of that 10mm bolt as well so I thought I'd check to make sure it was tight before I started tearing into it. You can get to it with the cam cover on so I stuck a socket onto it. It seemed to be tight enough, but I gave it about 1/4 turn and heard a pop. That didn't sound good so I took it apart and found what is on the attached photo.
Apparently I had somehow folded the bottom edge of the gasket up and tightened everything down. Then when I tightened that bottom bolt a little further I cracked off the bottom tab on the head.
This probably isn't the stupidest thing I've ever done, but it's head and shoulders above anythng I've done this year so far.
Anybody out there have a RH head for an '83 Interstate for sale?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so i have my heads off because two valves have small leaks i know i can machine them to seat them right but i was told i could use a putty of some sort and you spin it like you are starting a fire anyone know what its called

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonefishing, if you are trying to start a new thread, go to the main Technical Forum page and click "New Thread" in the upper LH corner of the page.

That way you can title the thread so that it will more likely attract someone with some knowledge about your particular question, and it will not distract the conversation from the main point of the existing thread.

Incidentally, I've not heard about any kind of putty that you can use, but if it exists someon who is regularly on here will have some info about it.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
coach
Hope you get this.
If this were mine I would look carefully at the possibility of a weld repair.
The area broken is not in the cylinder area and as such is not under extreme pressure. That area is an oil return channel and as such not under pressure of any significance.
This is as I see it. You could get a new honda gasket weld up the broken piece and try the repair for fit and seal with a start up. If all holds then hey presto.
If not then you shell out for a second hand head and skim it and then buy a gasket etc etc.

If this were mine I feel I would try the former first. It is cheaper. A little weld in the area of the channel entrance will not impeed the oils movement but the main area for concern is the face of the head next to the gasket.

It's just a thought from one who sheared off a bolt for the pulley wheel of mine and saw no future as cams are rare as hell. I got the pulley wheel welded onto the cam and hey presto all works. Now that piece sure turns at speed and no ill affects.

I see it that the head is junk as such so no harm done!

Your call of course and your bike.:waving:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
hello
the process with the putty is called Valve Lapping and you need a lapping tool and the compound. It can be purchased at most auto parts stores. tool is a dowel with suction cups on each end. attach tool to valve apply compound put it in the head and spin valve back and forth like you are trying to start a fire, should notice nice shiny seat and valve when done, any spot not polished will need further attention.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.