Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody know where I can get a set of GL1100 Head Gaskets, fast? Besides Thrifty Rider, Bike Bandit, Ebay, or JC Whitney. I have the heads off my '81' GL1100 and don't want to leave it exposed to the outside elements to long.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

teacher wrote:
Anybody know where I can get a set of GL1100 Head Gaskets, fast? Besides Thrifty Rider, Bike Bandit, Ebay, or JC Whitney. I have the heads off my '81' GL1100 and don't want to leave it exposed to the outside elements to long.
While you're waiting spray some fogging compound on the exposed engine parts, many auto parts stores have the LPS compound for that or at least give it a very good spritz with WD-40 which is a water dispersant and will keep moisture away and the parts shiny for awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

hey exavid,

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Get a can of spray chain lube and spray it over the exposed parts. this works great and lasts for ages.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

hi englishted,

Change lube sounds good! I did the WD40 overnight, then put the heads on less the cam and rocker arm this am so I'm in go shape till I get help on the timing issue. I have plenty of post to read about the timing and will get started very quickly.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

After replacing the head gasket it's a good idea to check the valve shims.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thank you exavid,

I replaced the valve guides, is that the same? When I put the heads on with the new gaskets I was advised by this forum not to install the cam or rocker arms as I might be in the same place as I started, bent valves, correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.