Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone make any sense of this???

I am now on third different engine block and second set of heads. Can anyone explain to me why i keep popping head gaskets? First motor was my own fault, let it run to long trying to get the plug for fan temp sensor to work overheated it and blew head gasket. Tore everything down checked for warpage and was less then .002 or somewhere close. That gasket lasted till timing belt jumped teeth so changed heads due to broke valves . So put everything back together that gasket lasted for 2 years then had to tear it all apart again gasket went and oil was more antifreeze then oil. So bought another bike with a freshly rebuilt engine. drove it for a month and head gasket went in it???? this one is just leaking into just one cylinder and being burnt no antifreeze in oil??? Can anyone explain why i am having such a problem with head gaskets?????

·
Registered
211 Posts
where are you getting your gaskets from? please tell me it's not sabre cycle/barracuda bike.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I can tell you from experience there is no substitute for OEM Honda head gaskets, Been there done that with several. Now 32,000 on honda gaskets and still going.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they are coming from local honda dealer. Not sure where the newest set come from as i didnt do them but the rest came straight from honda.

·
Registered
211 Posts
please don't take this the wrong way, i'm not trying to offend. you shouldn't be going through that many oem gaskets. perhaps you may need to re-evaluate either your mechanic or your riding habits? just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Torquing the head bolts properly with a dab of Molly-60 under the flange?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Two years is not too bad for a head gasket. Since you got another bike, with another engine, I would say that it is just coincedence.

Unless of course, you need cooling system service.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trashtruck i am the mechanic so you could be right, i have no formal school training just what i have learned myself and my driving habits could also be at fault? It does occasionally get up around red line.

Ansimp i check all fluids everytime it leaves the garage.

Oldschool did torque to specs according to manual but did not have moly-60 under flange on the ones i built can not say about the last one as i didnt do that one. It was done buy a trained mechanic so i was told by PO.

Riding i have the head off now cleaning it up going to check everything sometime this week and put it back together. Hopefully you are right and i wont have to do this again.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Trashtruck i am the mechanic so you could be right, i have no formal school training just what i have learned myself and my driving habits could also be at fault? It does occasionally get up around red line.

Ansimp i check all fluids everytime it leaves the garage.

Oldschool did torque to specs according to manual but did not have moly-60 under flange on the ones i built can not say about the last one as i didnt do that one. It was done buy a trained mechanic so i was told by PO.

Riding i have the head off now cleaning it up going to check everything sometime this week and put it back together. Hopefully you are right and i wont have to do this again.

Moly 60 on the threads also, per the shop manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.