Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

gl1100 with perforated exhaust headers, was going to weld up the holes but welding rust is a bit of a pain, or put stainless pipe inside/flexible exhaust pipe outside

she's not really noisy but it's been an advise on the last 3 mot's and the fumes coming up from the headers is a pain

will either the 1000 or the 1200 (which have separate headers) fit the 1100

anyone know ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
imported post

i do belive the 1000 headers will fit the 1100. they are separated by a joint to the muffler. not sure on the 1200.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,566 Posts
imported post

1200s will not exactly fit. I have them on my 1100 but I had to bolt them to an engine and heat and bend them out a little to make them work.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

dave, do the 1200's fit at the head but the pipes are too close to the frame?
my plan is headers and harley silencers connected with flexible exhaust tubing
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
298 Posts
imported post

If all you want are the headers then any 1100 should fit. If you're after the complete system, the 83 crossover tube is in a slightly different place so you have to replace both sides so that they match up - or fabricate - or cap off. There's been some discussion about whether a crossover tube is necessary. I always add one if I change a car from single to dual exhaust. Never did get a definitive answer from the m/c jury.

And instead of flexible have a shop tack on extra lengths of stainless to the headers. Would look much better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,328 Posts
imported post

100's headers will fit..75-77 go straight back..78-79 turn up a bit..makes a difference for the mufflers hook up
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
imported post

The 1200 headers will bolt onto the engine. The angle for the pipe coming off is a bit different. I cut it at an angle and welded an adaptor piece in place to fit my Harly pipes..
 

Attachments

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,566 Posts
imported post

Phils a winger at last wrote:
dave, do the 1200's fit at the head but the pipes are too close to the frame?
my plan is headers and harley silencers connected with flexible exhaust tubing
They bolt to the head but they butt up against the engine block so they are at an angle to the port and won't seal. They are a bear to heat and bend but I can attest it can be done.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
They bolt to the head but they butt up against the engine block so they are at an angle to the port and won't seal.
Strange. I didn't have that problem.

I ran my Interstate with Harley pipes alongside my Aspy with stock pipes and they sounded very similar. No sealing issues and I didn't have to bend them.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,566 Posts
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
They bolt to the head but they butt up against the engine block so they are at an angle to the port and won't seal.
Strange. I didn't have that problem.

I ran my Interstate with Harley pipes alongside my Aspy with stock pipes and they sounded very similar. No sealing issues and I didn't have to bend them.
They may seal off with new gaskets but I didn't like the pipes being against the block like they were. I do remember now having to cut the end off and weld it back at a different angle especially on the right so it would clear the brake linkage.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top